Author Topic: Todd's Vampire Leech Fly Pattern  (Read 4001 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Todd's Vampire Leech Fly Pattern
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
I thought I'd share one of my favourite stillwater patterns, which has been featured in Phil Rowley's book on top producing stillwater fly patterns. This pattern utilizes UV and fluorescent materials for maximum visibility and attraction at all depths.

I named it the "Vampire Leech", as it is tied with Vampire Vippy, and with original pattern was tied with a fluorescent orange bead (chartreuse works better for deeper presentations). I thought the title of "Vampire" was appropriate for its name - being that leeches are known to be "blood suckers" as well.

Feel free to crank-up or turn-off your speakers...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoiRh4oeefo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoiRh4oeefo</a>

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:05:12 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Vampire Leech Fly Pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
Not only have I tied a lot of those flies (as they work!), but I've found your deep-water version colour scheme highly effective .  That dark (black)/chartreuse combo is highly effective!  I really like the extra shine the Vippy provides.

Here's a picture of a slightly diffrerent variation (Chartreuse Head Bugger - CHB):

I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Ivo Balinov

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Leech Fly Pattern
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Todd. It sure is an excellent fly for rainbows.
Ivo

Stanton Jack

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Todd's Vampire Leech Fly Pattern
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »
Got it! I saw this fly at the last loch style comp, and wondered what the material was :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Todd's Vampire Leech Fly Pattern
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
 A Adrian Llama, a Canadian company, sells a very similar material that's called "UV Brill" on their website.

Tell them that Todd referred you and they might give you an extra gift with your order...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...