Author Topic: How will the Canucks look next season?  (Read 1951 times)

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
How will the Canucks look next season?
« on: May 15, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
This past season has been stellar for some parts, and sad for many others.  I still find it hard to wrap my head around how bi-polar the team plays, because I KNOW they can be a clutch team, but they simply seem to not show up some nights.

Do you think there will be any changes to the coaching?  I know there are many calling for AV's head right now, and I can sympathize with that.  The way he left Luongo out to dry was pretty messed up.

What do you think the Canucks will look like next season, especially between the pipes?

Considering Schneider is in a similar position that Luongo was in last year, it could shake up the whole goalie situation.

Also, in the four games our D and forwards were non-existent.  Do you think there will be some major rebuilding planned for the off-season? 

Tie one up, bro!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: How will the Canucks look next season?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:41:15 AM »
I'm not sure, but they definitely need to do some major changes. It's great to win a division, but it's the victories and performances at the playoffs that really matters...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
That's really hard to guess at.  It's always hard to see what's going to happen from the limited information we get as fans/observers - we can only speculate if there is dissatifaction in the team, or if they have lost their ambition, or if the strategies are failing from the coaching perspective... I would love to have more info so that I could make an informed decision.  Heck, I hate guessing at mmy fishing too!

But one thing that I notice (and I am not sure if I am correct) is that the team strategies often seem to fail them (which might be a coaching issue, or an execution issue) - both short term and long term.  In general it seems like other teams adapt to the Canucks strategies very fast and shut them down promptly, but on the other side it always seems to take the Canucks a few games to sort out what the other teams are doing, and by then it is too late.  They just aren't as fast to adapt to changing conditions on a game-by-game scenario.

In the long run (season-by-season), it also seems like the team is trying to change itself/identify to try and keep up with how the refereeing is going (perhaps too much), and what the best teams are doing (of which Vancouver usually is one).  First they want to pattern themselves after Detriot, then after Chicago, then after Boston, then after LA...  Rather than just sticking to a particular style.  In the end, they are always one step behind, and never have enough resources (cap space) to make the significant changes... Admittedly they did try to stay with being fast paced scoring team for a couple of years, but they still kept going back to slow checking, etc...

On the one hand they don't seem to adapt fast enough to the short run changes, then when they look at the long run issues, they try to do too much.

I really appreciate watching how pro-athletes prepare for events, and how they deal with success and failure because as anglers (especially comp ones) we can often learn quite a bit.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
Personally I have pretty much stopped watching NHL hockey. I used to play beer league when I was younger and lived in Alberta and used to watch every Canucks game.
Over the last couple years I have really been bothered by the officiating to the point where I no longer take any enjoyment from watching a game. I feel money says that the U.S. teams must continue to win the Stanley Cup for the league to grow and be sustainable.
There I said it. The NHL is just big business!!!! >:( >:(
Call me a grumpy old fart conspiracy theorist if  you like but that's my opinion.
So hate to break it to you all but the Canucks are never gonna win the cup so lets go fishing!!! ;D
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
With Cory in play going into the draft, does anyone think that they will be able to get a top 4 pick for him?  The asking price is a top prospect and a first round draft pick, plus more, I'm assuming dependent on where the pick falls. 

Joe Gluck

• 5 Star Member
  • Zürich, Switzerland 17 months and counting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Thought I should bring this thread back around...... there has certainly been A LOT of change happening in the club.  Thoughts?

Tie one up, bro!