Author Topic: Clear fly lines - Fluorocarbon?  (Read 847 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Clear fly lines - Fluorocarbon?
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »
Does anyone have enough background on fly lines to understand why our Clear Slow and Fast Glass lines (Slime line, Clear Intermediate, etc...) are usually made with a mono nylon core and not a Fluorocarbon core?  At least, judging by the amount of stretch in the clear lines, I assume they are nylon/co-polymer and not FC.  Heck, I don't even know what the core is...

With all our desire for low stretch lines, has anyone heard of a manufacturer R&Ding a Clear no-stretch line?  Is there something about FC (which is ideally low-stretch) that a coating cannot be bonded to it to create a fly line?  Someone must be working on this, no?

I have several clear lines from Rio to Cortland to Airflo and each has "ample" stretch (which isnt a bad thing some days).  But no one seems to have a true no stretch "clear" line.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:44:56 PM by Chris Puchniak »
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Ron Thompson

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, B.C. Canada
    • View Profile
    • www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca
Re: Clear fly lines - Fluorocarbon?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
Chris you have to understand that stretch is required to relax a line with a no stretch core you would get more coiling even in regular fly lines the coating is tested in different thickness's and it was found that too thick too much coiling. A thin coating would eliminate the coil problem, but then a thin coating would not last and or the fly line would break. Its a complicated subject and this is only my .02 worth.
Fishing is not about fish.
THE TUG IS THE DRUG
Do you want flies with that order.
www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Thanks Ron. 

I don't understand the full science behind it myself, but from what I can tell just handling the line and looking at the specs, the amount of stretch in a FC leader is about the same (more actually, as most FCs stretch about 6-12% either wet or dry) as the amount of stretch in either a Rio IN-Touch line or an Airflo Sixth sense (which are both 'rated' in the 2-6% area, but may be more than that).  Monofilament line I am not sure on, but it is likely 50-100% greater with respect to stretch as FC (15% or more?).

I just wonder that if Rio and Airflo have core lines with very low stretch rates (and these lines work quite fine), is there the possibility of a FC core Clear line? 

I can't see stretch being an issue as some excellent current lines have less stretch than FC.

I'm just throwing the idea out there.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Rory E. Glennie

• 5 Star Member
  • "Angling to Exceed Your Expectations"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
Hey Chris,
Why not a titanium core instead? There are leader/tippet materials out now which reportedly do not kink and have great knot strength with regular knots we use. Perhaps this ultra strong material could be used for a fly line core and be almost invisible as its diameter to strength ratio is very good. Check out http://www.tenkarabum.com/titanium-line.html
Cheers!
Rory
Ghillie -- A wise and discreet waterside companion to genteel fly fishers... that's me.