Author Topic: Bass Time!  (Read 634 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Bass Time!
« on: June 29, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »

Finally some action after a very disappointing Spring trout fishing in Ontario.  It was great at Kenauk but they load the lakes there. In our public lakes it has been a very different story.  Of course, it is now too warm to practice C&R for trout.  Surface temperatures are in the mid 70's F.  which is not particularly good for rainbows and brookies.
The advantage we have out here in the East is a vibrant Bass fishery.  These ones were taken in Quebec about 2 hours+ north of Ottawa.  The lake is mostly private but a few of us know a way in. Every LM you get is 3-5 pounds. There are a few SM which are much more fun to catch.  The sores on the mouth are likely from fighting with other males during spawning or protecting their nests.  The late spawners do not contribute significantly to recruitment so it is not a problem catching them this early in the Spring.  Actually Ontario opened the bass season a week earlier this year because of the generally warming water.  But not this Spring.  It has been wet and cold.  Guess they don't call it "Climate Change" for nothing.

Any fly will do, I'm sure, but my favorite is the Mississippi Mermaid: cone head, green plastic chenille and a marabou tail.  A brown Coney Leech also worked well for me.  Don't know what my partner was using but we both got 15-20 of them in 6 hours.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Bass Time!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Nice Bob.   It is great to have alternatives to trout if you can't go to a higher elevation to escape the higher water temps.  I may be turning to crappie and bass myself too for my summer fishing, and turning more to rivers.  In our region of B.C., the rivers reopen July 1st, which is exciting news.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bass Time!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
For sure bass fishing is one of my favorites, they fight good, and when they came up for poppers that is lots of fun.