Author Topic: What's your favourite "searching" fly line for stillwaters?  (Read 1833 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
One of the biggest challenges while stillwater fishing is finding the depth that the fish are holding at and actively taking flies. There is a wide assortment of fly lines that will help you to probe the depths, but I was curious as to which sinking line you prefer to use when specifially searching for fish in stillwaters.

If I can't spot rising fish or cruisers, I typically use a Type 3 Sweep line when fishing under calmer conditions or while anchored, and a Type 5 Sweep line for covering a faster drift while fishing loch-style.

How about you? What's your "go to" searching line for stillwater fishing?
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: What's your favourite "searching" fly line for stillwaters?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
If I could in BC, it would be a Di7 and a washing line set up with a Booby on the point (so I can cover a lot of areas and hopefully use the countdown to find an approximate depth with the multiple flies), but that's really not an option here.  I like to do that outside of BC though, where multiple flies are permitted, and as long as the water depth supports it (and if there weren't other visible signs to suggest otherwise).  It wouldn't make sense to use the Di7 when the fish are hovering in less than 5 feet of water, or visible on the top water, for example.  I'd use it more in those situations when you look at the lake and see absolutely nothing moving.

If the conditions are NOT conducive to a Di7, the Di3 is probably my next choice, especially if fishing a single fly - then I will alternate between a Beadhead fly, neutral buoyant fly, and possibly a very buoyant fly to cover different depths with the same line.  I kind of find that the Di3 is pretty versatile in waters from 5' up to 25' deep by adjusting the pattern slightly.

The FG is probably my next favourite searching line and what I'll use when I don't really know what is happening, BUT I can at least see the fish in the shallows, or see signs of surface activity.  For fresh stocky rainbows, this is probably my main choice as I expect them to be swimming around the surface looking up a lot.

One thing I always keep in mind when "searching" a lake is that if you make a mistake in your line choice, it is better to error on the side of being too shallow rather than too deep.  At least if the fly is above the fish, they can see it and you have a chance of locating fish - if you are too deep, you'll have a hard time getting noticed.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
My DI5 is my choice as I try to find aggressive fish as soon as I can. It allows me to work in shallow at a faster pace which can be good when fish are in there feeding or I can turn around and fish deeper water at a fast or slower pace. If I have no takers I will pull out the clear line and work nymph's slow around the weed bed's.

If those fail I put on the chronies and crack a cold one!!!!! ;) ;D

Johnnychronny
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
Usually my first line is a Type 5 full sink.  If there's chronie activity then it's almost always a floating line.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:34 AM »
Depends. My favorite casting line is the Rio Aqua lux and as such it always gets strung up and some days it's the dope. I'll also have strung the type 6 or 7 (aka 'knot on a spool' lol) so it will be either of those depending upon time of year and depth(s) I'm targeting.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Gordon Kalisch

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:05 AM »
I say that it's a Type 3 line with a ruby-eye #10 black leech