Author Topic: We all make mistakes!  (Read 811 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
We all make mistakes!
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
So I picked up a set of Rio In Touch Deep lines recently, and with them I set off for the local pond to do some fishing, bringing the Airflo lines for comparison.  I wasn't going to fish all of them, just the 3's.

So I start out with the Di3 Aiflo (the one with the chopped off 4' tip - Robbie, you're right... casting might be better...lol) and set out casting.  Winds were moderate and nice.  Picked up a couple of fish.

Then I grabbed my rod strung up with the Rio In Touch Deep 3.  After a couple of casts I'm all confused.   :o  The line just refuses to generate line speed!  I'm getting an 80' cast at best, and really having to ease off on my casting action to do it.  I can't figure out why it is so much harder and tempermental to cast.  At first I double checked my rod to make sure I hadn't brought out my 7 or 8wt or something... Nope, 6wt it was.  Not having tried these lines before I thought maybe the head design was THAT diffrerent and wanted a different style of casting.  I made a mental note to check the head design when I got home later.

Anyways, an hour of casting and I was getting a little better with the line, but I still wasn't happy.

Then I got home, grabbed the original box to take a look, and I almost did a double-take:  WF4S3.

Um.  It was a 4 wt.   ???

Somehow I'd been given the wrong line and hadn't noticed at all. I am still shaking my head about it.  A far cry for the 7 wt lines I usually like to overline with.

But I was pleased I could punch out an 80'+ cast in a moderate wind with a line rated 2 sizes lower than my fast action rod!  I don't recommend it though unless you want to really confuse yourself!  ;D
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: We all make mistakes!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
 errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: We all make mistakes!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
Darn that Devil!   ;)
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.