Author Topic: Foam Articulate Burrowing Nymph  (Read 5038 times)

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Foam Articulate Burrowing Nymph
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »

Re-look into the old pattern, this one is much easier to tie, playing with Palmer Chenille as the gills which the 'blink blink' effect may looks like air bubbles trap at the abdomen..

Materials:

Palmer Chenille by Wapsi
1.5mm thick close cell foam
40lbs hard wire
TMC 105 Egg fly hook size 6
Pheasant tail fibers
Goose Biots
Dubbing
Marker

Step by step tying instructions:

http://dronsworld.blogspot.com/2013/08/arituvale-burrowing-foam-nymph-v20.html

Mike Learmonth

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Foam Articulate Burrowing Nymph
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »
very nice Dron!

can you explain to me how to heat and bend the goose biot legs? I've never done that before but it adds a great dimension to the fly. This pattern looks quite adaptable to our BC stillwaters .
Team Kingfisher member

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
Dron, your flies are just too nice to get wet...

I like the idea of the bent biots as well.  I suppose in a pinch you might use knotted pheasant tail fibers in groups of 3-4, which might give a little more movement.  But those biot legs look very impressive!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »
very nice Dron!

can you explain to me how to heat and bend the goose biot legs? I've never done that before but it adds a great dimension to the fly. This pattern looks quite adaptable to our BC stillwaters .

I use a needle, heat it with a candle... then 'heat' the biot where the point you want, it will bend to heat.... suggest you try it before actually take it to your fly, sometime too hot might burn the biot...

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:06 PM »

I like the idea of the bent biots as well.  I suppose in a pinch you might use knotted pheasant tail fibers in groups of 3-4, which might give a little more movement.  But those biot legs look very impressive!

Yes, the old version is with knotted pheasant tail fiber... but the biot legs are much faster.. :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing this pattern, as well as the excellent tip on how you reshape and bend the biot legs.

Your innovative tying and ideas never cease to amaze me Dron!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
If you don't have Palmer Chenille... or you don't like the 'blink blink' sparkling effect... you can replace it with Organza ribbon...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

Yes, the old version is with knotted pheasant tail fiber... but the biot legs are much faster.. :)

Yes, I'd agree!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:55:48 AM »
People ask me.... do you fish with these pattern..? how do you fish with them..?

Yes.... I do, I love fishing with foam nymph pattern...In Malaysia... we fish a lot in still water and pond... when the normal nymph pattern fish with floating line does not catch me any fish.

I fish them with sinking line at pond and still water... let the sinking line bring the fly down, depend on your leader length... the fly will float away from the base, when you do a stop strip or figure 8...the line will bring the fly down, the articulate abdomen is to give some movement when they move... then you stop for a while... the foam will bring the fly up again... adjust your leader length... so you will be able to keep you fly in the strike zone...
I have even experience that sometime I just leave it... take my time for a smoke, the current will move your fly... fish might just take out of sudden...!!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation on how you fish this pattern Dron. I fish floating dragonfly nymphs with a very similar approach. Have you caught any trout with this fly? It looks like a real deadly pattern for the trout here in British Columbia.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Dron Lee

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »
No trout in Malaysia... :P

But I got Pacu and River Carp with similar pattern ( black color version ).... and some big unstoppable Pacu...

Going Mongolia next month.... will try my luck there...