Author Topic: Critque of the last loch style competition.  (Read 3869 times)

Rick Sodke

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Critque of the last loch style competition.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
The original poster is not prone to exaggeration and would certainly know the difference between a competitive and recreational angler. I also expect that he would not be upset by the number of boats since he is more than familiar with fishing in crowded conditions.
Why were boats an outboard exceeding the Tunkwa 10hp limit allowed to compete?

How the hell do YOU know that? We are friends, I eat dinner with the guy here and there, he calls me for advice on both fishing opportunities as well as things for his home. Funny your name never comes up in conversation. lol
Tom is as prone to exaggeration as the next guy, he's a great fisherman not a saint. He was pi$$ed off and made a post saying things he shouldn't have been.
Did you talk with Tom, Randy? Does he agree that he shouldn't have said them?

I appreciate that you are attempting to be concilliatory between the anchorers and the drifters, but as you said the rules and ettiquette are clear. You don't drift into an anchored boat and it's not cool to gun your motor and almost swamp a boat in an attempt to avoid them.
Mistakes happen. If someone had just said sorry, either on the water or on the forum then this whole thing would have gone away.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Gentleman, the simple fact in all this is it is fishing.  Just fishing.  We are all sharing the waters and have to find fair ways to do so. And where humans are involved, misunderstandings will occur that we have to deal with.

It is tough to fit people who are trolling, with anchored boats, and with guys wind drifting.  Invariably someone gets in the way of someone.  It's always going to happen.  Loch Style is getting more popular, but honestly, 90% of the community has no idea what it is yet.  In most cases they believe we are anchored when they see us, so misunderstandings occur and people anchor in each other's way.

Whenever moving boats meet anchored boats, the boat that is the most maneuverable should make the first move.  Although it is a grey area (as drifting loch-style boats aren't ideally covered under the boater's safety regulations), it probably makes sense for a drifting boat to relocate rather than an anchored boat.

Misunderstandings are going to occur.  What we all have to do is accept this and handle it like mature individuals when it does occur.  There is no logic in one group arguing that they are right and the other group doing the same.  Usually both are to blame.

Whether you are fishing recreationally, competitively, or you are just Canoeing, Kayaking, water skiing, etc... we are ALL sharing the water.  Altercations will occur because there are never enough resources to go around (or it seems like we all want to share the exact same resource!) and it is up to everyone to take the high road.  No one has more right to the water than anyone else in my books, and pointing fingers at each other is just an immature way to handle things.

Rather than arguing who was right or wrong, it is much more better "time spent" coming up with solutions that make things smoother.  That is what has been happening behind the scenes during all this, and I appreciate all those who have sent emails with constructive suggestions.

I don't know about you, but I feel like going fishing now!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:39 AM »
Rick, there was no swamping of anybody. there may have been a wake that he took exception to because he was poed but knowing BOTH of the anglers in the boat drifting one sure would LET the other make a move in any sort of way for simple stability reasons - he's an old bugger. quite a few years older than the layer of blame. I'd lay money on that one just as I know The anchored gent figured he was going to anchor 'wherever he pleased' with a possible 'watch this' before hand.
ESPECIALlY if he had a good day there the day before.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:54:23 AM by Randy Paskall »
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
Quote "One more thing. Don't think for a second that there aren't members of that board viewing this one. Those who's opinions you'd like very much to be in favor of comp angling or at least not hate it"

Your rights, his rights, my rights, all spoken with the passion that is fly fishing and human nature.  You are right people are watching and fortunately the People you are speaking of did not get to where they are by chance.  They are intelagent people that worked hard to get there and understand numbers and human nature.   It is not uncommon during an event like this for even the most experience and talented angler to make a mistake or misjudge a drift path or get slapped with a wind change.   When this happens it is also not uncommon when this happens that dumb luck puts you right in the path of the one person in the whole lake that is going to take exception to it on one form or another.
  The fact that this is the first incedent of this kind in four years speaks very highly of the organizers and the participants and those you speak of will also look at that.

My offer of a hug still stands or if preferred a jigger of scotch and some good stories around the campfire would suffice then I offer that as well.

Hey look---a squirrel...;)

I don't agree. I you might think you are funny, but this type of episode works 10 fold against the rep of comp angling. Regular high and mighty fly anglers already have their sideways assumption about comp angling it's (IMO) your job as comp anglers to do everything in your power to keep that to a minimum just because they will surely be amplified because you guys are preordained as 'not good for the resource.
Hey, do what you want no skin off my arse, but unless you want a real war with rec anglers (and in war there is never any winners) the high road is the only course to peace.

Again - because here in CANADA despite what you may think YOU guys are the anomaly. YOU guys are trying to promote a new take on lake angling. That doesn't make you superior it makes you different and easily mistrusted and misunderstood.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
Great topic, and I sincerely apologize if the actions of others somehow reduced the level of joy of some individuals that shared the same water during the one day that the entire group fished Tunwka Lake. Constructive and civil dialogue, in my opinion, is the best way to resolve the issues and bring them to our attention, so I sincerely thank those who have shared their thoughts and advice on this thread! :)

A lot of valid points and concerns have been raised regarding this subject, which emphasises the need to more focus on education and tolerance for others (on both sides), which will definitely be helpful for addressing this issue and avoiding any future incidents. That being said; unfounded accusations and hearsay have absolutely no place in this discussion (on both forums), and only fuels the fire. Mattfisher, if you'd be so kind, please PM me in regards to "the incident" that you've described (location and date), as this is the first that I've heard of any issues, I will take the appropriate measures if your complaint happened just as you've described.

All of the positive and constructive criticism and recommendations that have been shared in this discussion have been duly noted, and to be quite honest, this is how we'll grow and learn how to better share the water and respect the feelings and show the proper courtesy to those that we share it with. In fact, this discussion has emphasised the need for an educational project/video that will thoroughly explain proper etiquette for loch-style fishing, which is already in the works (you have to remember that this is a fairly new concept to most of us here in British Columbia). This video will demonstrate how to set up proper drifts and the proper consideration that should be shown to both recreational anglers and other competitors that share the same water.

I sincerely wish to avoid any incidents or unpleasant experiences for parties all concerned. This dialogue and bringing your concerns to our attention will definitely hopefully help us to be better prepared and more aware of the concerns and feelings of others.

Thanks again for all of the constructive dialogue that has been shared thus far on this post!

Cheers,
Todd

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:26:09 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...