Author Topic: Do you love boobies???  (Read 8464 times)

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
Re: Do you love boobies???
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »
James, actually there are a couple of systems I use.
First and often at dusk and dawn 0r (during a hatch of Chironomids or Mayflies) I use a floating line (or called a  Washing Line Technique) with the Booby at the point and then 3-5 feet apart I will attach a Chornomid or better a Buzzer pattern or the appropriate mayfly nymph. The leader is usually in a lake setup for me a 15 foot 10 pound Steelhead Leader from Rio. I attach about 8-10 feet of 10 or 8 pound P-Line. Attach two tags with a Orvis Knot about 3-5 feet apart from each other this is dependent to tippet length. Making the tags about 4-6 inches long. The clearer the water the longer the leader is a rule of thumb that is used. And 20 foot leaders are not uncommon here in Alberta on clearer lakes.
When casting this leader system it will roll out nicely once you get used to casting this length of leader. (Takes some practice) The heavyTapered Steelhead Leader really helps in this situation on the cast and thats why I use a heavy tapered leader. You can also use tippet rings at the tippet were it attaches to the leader for quick changes with pre-tied tippets, especially useful if you have fouled your leader. Once the rig is cast out on a floating line you can watch both the Booby (brightly coloured types) and the tip of your flyline for any strikes (movement). The Buzzers and Chironomids will slowly sink to about 2 or 3 feet. Use some substrate or Zink to aid in the sinking of this section of the tippet material on the leader or very small shot ahead of the lead fly by about 4-5 feet or use the Gh heavy Buzzer that I posted some time ago to replace the shot. Once it has been given some time to sink I twitch the line by using a hand twist retreive for two to six retrieves. Then allow it to sink again, this is the pause. You should be able to see the Booby if it is brightly coloured move ever so slightly as the Buzzers or Chironomids sink. Best watched during calm coniditions and unnoticable during wavey surface conditions but it is happening and the waves assist in the movement of the flies. Fish it slow.

When fishing the bottom or near the bottom here a Di5 or Di7 works best for me. The leader is made of 10 or 8 pound P-Line at about 7 feet in length. Here a tag is attached 2-3 feet ahead of the Booby as the point fly.  Add a nymph, caddis pupa or Chironomid to the tag. Cast it out and let it sink to bottom. Again a figure eight retrieve is used with lots of pauses. Keep the rod tip close to the surface and watch for any abnormal movement, twitch, a slight bounce in the tip,  or even tightness to the line during the retreive.

This last method has worked well on cold fronts. Often when  the fish go deep and this method gets down to them. Last year summer I was out with a friend that didnt have a sinking line with them. So I allowed them to use my 5 wt with a Di7 during the cold front. She fished in 26 feet of water were the sonar was marking loads of fish 2-3 feet off bottom and many tight to the substrate. 15 fish later it was decided that she would go back to shore as she had enough of getting cold. She spoke with several other anglers on the water. It a her thing to inquire and she established her bragging rights, quickly during the interviews. I had a great laugh and received lots of joy watching her do this as a new flyfisher of two years.  All the other anglers had caught 0 to maybe 3 fish each, after being out on the water for 6 plus hours each. This was the first time she used this method and now is an advocate of the system, especially on cold fronts.

http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum/index.php?topic=839.0

There are other methods and opinions, but these two methods are the easiest to use and work well.

Additional methods would include using a Di2 or a slow sinking or even a midge tip to sink the butt end of the leader slowly until you have a vertical downward pull to the Booby. Another story, but also effective.

here is a link to Ian Barrs video on fishing Washing Lines use another method again that  differs from the two that I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kyj9CRnvE
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:13:35 PM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
Booby colours are a key as well. Recently I have been using a Colour Selector as we did in Walleye Tournaments and in Bass Tournaments is where this machine was developed.  There are millions of variables to this formula of light intensity to water clarity and it usually is a guess at best especially on new waters without a colour selector. The way it is used is by finding the fish on the sonar and view the average depth the fish are at. Once this is done you then drop the light sensitive probe to that depth. Here the colour selector will kick out a few colours that are the most visible at that depth. I did this only to prove to myself that colour does matter on trout as I had great success with this during walleye Tournaments under many different conditions of sun light to water clarity, with water being the unstable factor in both lakes and rivers being, (Clear,Stained,or Murky-Muddy). The  system has proved effective and has allowed for many colour variations of the Booby patterns for us as well with minnow patterns and leeches.
Some of the patterns that I use are All Black, but have a great amount of sparkly material in them including UV material,but also patterns tied in Flor. Green, Flo, Yellow, Flo Orange, Flo Pink, Flo Blue, Especially Pink and Blue under very bright super clear water conditions. In some lake fish react better to Pink and in other lakes under very similar conditions the Blue works better. We found that out in Walleye Tournaments as well. Some lake where blue lakes and some where Pink lakes.
 I also use many Booby pattern in natural colour that would mimic the colour of dragonfly nymphs and damsel flies to the water we fish. White for me has always been a good searching pattern and would never get in the boat without one.

The other thing that can be done is oversizing the Booby Eyes from the Traditional patterns of the UK. Here a shorter shank hook is used with a larger gape if available, otherwise  you can just use a standard hook of 1x long and a larger gape again if available. Also 2X long hook make for a good Dragon Fly imitation, but again I would find a wider gape if possible of 2x or 3x gape. By oversizing eyes and Gink the eyes and the first 2 feet of monofilament, it seems to make the fly rise quicker. Also adding rubber hackle to the body of the Booby makes a difference on some days. Sometimes this quicker ascent seems to be preferred as opposed to a slower ascent. And it does the same to your 2 or 3 fly rig. Slow is good but not always. Especially during Mayfly hatches or caddis hatches.

Hope this helps..

When I get home I will take some pictures and post some of the Booby flies in my box.

Next year I will do more of the same with Choronimid patterns with the Colour Selector. I ran out of time this fall and was not able to get into as many hatches as I had hoped.

http://www.basspro.com/SpikeIt-ColorCLector/product/58174/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:13:34 PM by Gary Hanke »
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
Thx so much Gary.
And here I thought I knew all there was to boobies :-[
I am extremely interested if you are willing to share what colours seem to work well in certain waters with certain light conditions. Am pm cloudy bright etc. etc.
love to see pics. Of the boobies in your fly box that is ;D
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
Hi Vance, I am more than willing to share anything with you or anyone else on this topic. One thing I do know for sure is that all the Fluorescent colours are needed to cover off the water /light mix. It gets more complicated on the natural colours like the greens, olives, yellow, red, blues, purples and oranges. Eventually when you use the Colour Selector on your primary lakes of interest and they all differ to some degree based not just on water clarity but floating particulates in the water column makes it difficult but it will show a trend to your local lakes.  I mentioned before some lakes that I fish under similar conditions might be a blue lake or a pink lake. I think this may very well be due to floating particulates or algae or daphnia blooms that can go unnoticed at surface. (Not 100% sure). When I get home and back to my main computer we can discuss this further.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »
A few more pictures of Booby's from my Lake box. They are in assorted sizes, pattern shapes and colours. I have yet to find one that is more than a mouth full for any trout. The minnow shaped are some of my favourites.

Minnow Pattern

Zonker Pattern

Minnow Pattern

Dragon Fly

Clouser Style

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:11:32 AM by Gary Hanke »

James York

• Victoria, B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
Gary, thanks for the great photos and ideas for fishing boobies.  I have often wondered how different colors showed in different lakes. 

When you describe your methods for fishing boobies, either at the top or bottom, you are grouping them with 2 other flies.  Do you find the booby is catching fish equally as well at the other 2 flys?   We are unable to fish more than 1 fly at a time in B.C..  Do you catch many fish with the boobie on the floating line with the slow hand twist retrieve?

I look forward to reading any suggestions for colors based on lighting and water conditions.  I have found a couple of fly's that work better in one lake more than another but have not done enough testing of found enough consistency to conclude one way or another.

James

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Hi James, if I was forced to only use one fly then I would most certainly start with the Booby on a sinking line of either a Di3, Di5 or Di7, depending on water depth and how quick you want to get to the bottom or how quick your retrieve will be with a 5-7 foot leader. For myself when in less than 25 feet of water a Di3 or Di5 will do.  The retrieve is dependent on the silhouette of the pattern we are using at the time. On leeches the retrieve is a mix of quick land slow long pulls, Dragonfly nymphs is often a Figure 8 retrieve or short popping pulls. etc. Try to image the natural movement of the food source and mimic that movement. Again the pause during the retrieve wether longer or shorter often initiate the strike. As the fly floats upward and then stops is when I often get the strike. So days on the three fly or two fly system the Booby is used to suspend the nymphs and it is at that point a lost leader technique that is only there to suspend the flies. If I catch on it then it is a bonus at that point. But under many conditions the Booby has out preformed the other flies in suspension.
Colours and their selection are done with the Colour Selector. There are to many variable and they differ from one body of water to another, let alone water clarity and light intensity issues. At best without the Selector it is a guess or trial and error. I could say use Black or Gold or Chartreuse on heavy overcast days in stained water. But that may not work on the body of water you are fishing. It could end up being Brown or Dark Olive and Hot Orange depending on water clarity and light penetration according to the Colour Selector. Or the knowledge from past similar conditions on that specific lake.

There are two initial things to consider when choosing colour.
(1) Clarity of the Water- if it is clear or slightly stained (brown or green) stick with the natural colours like shiners, leeches, dragonfly colours to your water, and so on. For dingy or muddy water you need the brighter colors like chartreuse. fluorescent orange or white.

(2) The Type of Day- You have to think backwards about this one. If it is sunny then break out the brighter colours; if it is cloudy then stay with the colours like blue, grey or dark green, black and brown.

You want to imitate the colors of the natural bait. If it is cloudy, most of the natural bait appears like dark shadows and you don't want to be throwing a bright chartreuse and white bait. On a sunny day the natural bait will appear brighter because the sun will reflect of their scales and skin making them appear brighter, thus you don't want to be offering something drab and dark.

The other factor is the season and what bait is available.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:38:49 PM by Gary Hanke »

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Coquitlam BC Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
Hi Gary
Where and how much is a colour selector??
Is it easy to operate??
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
I picked mine up from Bass Pro, Cabela's carries them as well.  Spike-It only makes a Bass/Walleye type model, not a 'Rainbow/Brown/Brook Trout' specific model. 

Spike-It-Color-Selector

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
Basspro carries them. There is no Rainbow type. It isn't needed. The unit shows the best colour visible and doesn't need to be species specific.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
I have and do use boobies but as a last resort. Many, many, times I have deep hooked fish with them and don't like it at all. It's the way and the what the pattern is tied with, they are light, bulky and have the penchance to be inhaled very deeply because of that. Also for some reason I also seem tongue hook fish with them as well?

Deerhair gomphus is another light pattern but doesn't seem to be taken deep as often. YMMV.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
I have and do use boobies but as a last resort. Many, many, times I have deep hooked fish with them and don't like it at all. It's the way and the what the pattern is tied with, they are light, bulky and have the penchance to be inhaled very deeply because of that. Also for some reason I also seem tongue hook fish with them as well?

Deerhair gomphus is another light pattern but doesn't seem to be taken deep as often. YMMV.

Hi randy, I have found the same problem from time to time with the trout taking them to deep. The way I countered that was by increasing the retrieve speed if possible. Sometimes it isn't possible but more often it cured the problem as the fish were on the fly and committed anyway.

Geoff LeClair

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
This is an interesting topic and one I've enjoyed following. Thanks Vance for starting it, and all who have contributed so far.

Over the last few years I've spent a great of time, researching, tying and fishing lots of different patterns. One thing I've learned, is the sky is the limit to what you can create, and to what fish will respond to. I've often been surprised, to learn when something really out of the box  works.

I started by researching out patterns that woked "across the pond" and looked for websites that were a little more obscure. Thought I would share one that I found, and that has helped me put some colours and patterns into perspective. Oddly, when I discovered this website, it had a lot more pages of booby patterns, now it's down to only 1, but I think you will get the picture.

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/flies/boobies

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 11:40:42 PM »
Hi Gary , I'am looking for recipe for your " Do you love Bobbies " I just pick up some Bobbie Eyes from " Fish Tales " and
             there the " Rainys Bobbie Eye XL - size .
             Yum Yum , FlyRod.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Hello Rod, which specific pattern are you looking for in a recipe?