Author Topic: Do you love boobies???  (Read 8599 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Do you love boobies???
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
I started by researching out patterns that woked "across the pond" and looked for websites that were a little more obscure...

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/flies/boobies

I've used that web site too Geoff.  Good link.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »
That is a good site. I have been on this site and collecting information for a number of years now. If you look at most of the European Booby's. They are quite small, which certainly is OK and they definitely work. Over the years I have used the recommended sizes with great fortune. But I also felt a need to up size them and to start different body profiles to suit our local fauna. Now in my box, I find many size 4 and 6 3XL or even size 2 hooks dressed with very large Rainey Eyes and in some cases they have additional foam as an under body to get them riding high when I dredge the bottom substrate. Several decades back in the walleye tournament we used what was called a "Lindy Rig" system. This was a sliding weight that was stopped by a barrel swivel. Attached to the backend of the barrel swivel was a 2-8 foot leader. At times we used a floating foam based hook that a leach or worm was attached to. This was dragged along the bottom contour and the bait rode higher in the water column. When a fish tapped the hook you feed the fish line so that it could inhale the bait, but the wait was to give the fish time to turn. Sometimes we had to wait up to 20 seconds on very light takes. At those times you didnt even feel the bite. All it felt like was the rig get caught on some weeds or stuck against a rock.

So my philosophy was to do the same with a high speed line (dredge the bottom) and increase and change the profile of what we were feeding the fish. Sometimes not just bigger but whey bigger is better.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/441172_L1?$highres3$

http://myfishingpals.com/best-of-fishing-forum.taf?_function=detail&ForumMasterThreads_uid1=1933&start=1

Just adapt the system for Booby's.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:52:34 PM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
Hi Gary , I found the recipe by " Andy Larkin " what a awesome pattern this is !

Thank You FlyRod.