Author Topic: Using sighters for Chironimids  (Read 969 times)

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Using sighters for Chironimids
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
So after fishing with my dad today and running into a fellow youth team member who was nymphing, my dad came up with the idea of using a sighter line instead of an indicator for Chironimids in lakes.

Now I can see the inherent benefit of not needing to worry about casting 23 feet of line with an indicator, and also not trying to land a fish with 23 feet of line out. 

I am wondering however if there would be an issue with maintaining the sighter (if it is a coiled sighter) and also if there would be visibility issues.

Any thoughts?
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Using sighters for Chironimids
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
I've been using coiled sighters for years that way. Be sure to Gink them up and match the weight if the pattern to the buoyancy of the fly pattern.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Using sighters for Chironimids
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Ok thanks Todd.  I look forward to practicing this technique once the lakes ice-off.  As I was coming down for the weekend Timber Lake at 1060m or so was iced over on Saturday.
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....