Author Topic: ****WARNING****  (Read 1212 times)

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
****WARNING****
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »
**WARNING**
For those with REMOTE controlled gas fireplaces. Change the batteries in the RECIEVER (not the hand held unit you use to turn it on and off it simply won't work when the batteries are low) IN the fireplace once per year!!!!!
Had a client call me re: EXPLODING fireplace. Turns out the batteries were super low in the reciever IN the fireplace and that along with some corrosion from old batteries allowed 'intermittant' signals to the gas valve - on, off, on, off, on, off... you get the idea. In this case the valve was allowed to open enough to make the fireplace fire and she left the room, 3 or 5 minutes later she heard a BOOM, went and checked and found the metal lower enclosure laying on her bed about 10' away.
Today's fireplaces have a set of 'blast doors' held down by springs to keep the glass from exploding into the room upon a concussive firing scenario. The resulting concussion in this case opened the blast doors saving the glass but the detotation resulted in the energy of the blast to go around the firing chamber and spit the front cosmetic piece across the room.
Glad no one was hurt - this time.
Battery operated controls are 'neat' but apparently not the safest things to be relying on.

As with most home owners she wasn't even aware batteries were in there to be changed. If there is ANY corrosion from deacying cells be sure to clean all that off as well - corrosion never gets any 'better' and can and will interupt low voltages from going where they should, in this case with explosive results.

While you are at it you might as well change the batteries in your furnace/boiler thermostat as well.

Have a SAFE and happy Holidays from your friendly neighborhood gas man.

Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: ****WARNING****
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the warning Randy! I doubt that very many people would even think about replacing their batteries until they're basically dead.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
Re: ****WARNING****
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »
Just part of keeping people safe as well as having them feel foolish when i go and ask them for batteries for their unit and then send a bill for a service call to install them.

In the new year I'll still be needing your services for my van that got hit so you can thank me then. Christmas/New Years and shortly after is my down time. Damn ICBC for giving me 2 years for the repairs to be done, I'll take all 2 of them if I let me.  :D
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....