Author Topic: 2014 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships - June 18–21, 2014  (Read 24367 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship

North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships - June 18–21, 2014

Fly fishers from across North America and around the World are invited to attend this international loch-style fly fishing competition. Members of the Canadian and U.S. National Fly Fishing Teams will be on hand and competing for the team and individual medals, titles and prizes.

The following link will take you directly to the North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships' website: http://www.flyfishingchampionship.com/

Competition Venues:
Tunkwa Lake
Tunkwa Lake:  2 Sessions of competition with 3 hours per session – single fly only

Trojan Pond
Trojan Pond:    3 Sessions of competition with 3 hours per session - maximum of 3 flies

Schedule of Events:

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 (AM):
Loch-Style Fishing Masterclass with Alistair Mair at Tunkwa Lake Resort: 9:00am - 3:00pm
( Contact Todd Oishi to register for this Masterclass: info@innovativeflyfisher.com )

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 (PM):
Official Meet & Greet at the Black Bull Pub: 7:00pm
Dinner at the Black Bull Pub: 7:00pm
Captains' Meeting and Draw at the Black Bull Pub: 8:00pm

Thursday, June 19, 2014
Competitors' Meeting:                            8:30am - 8:40am
Session 1: Tunkwa Lake                        9:00am – 12:00pm   
Lunch Break:                                        12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Session 2: Tunkwa Lake                        1:30pm – 4:30pm       

Friday, June 20, 2014
Trojan Pond’s Gates Open 7:00am
Buffet Breakfast (meal included with entry fees) 7:30am - 8:30am
Competitors' Meeting:                       8:30am - 8:40am
Session 3: Trojan Pond                     9:00am – 12:00pm   
Lunch Break at Trojan Pond:           12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Session 4: Trojan Pond                     1:30pm – 4:30pm   

Saturday, June 21, 2014
Trojan Pond’s Gates Open 7:00am
Buffet Breakfast (meal included with entry fees) 7:30am - 8:30am H
Competitors' Meeting:                           8:30am - 8:40am
Session 5: Trojan Pond                         9:00am – 12:00pm
Lunch at Trojan Pond:                         12:00pm – 1:00pm 
Pack up and help load boats...              1:00pm – 2:00   
Awards Ceremonies and Banquet:        6:00pm - 12:00pm

Competition Venues: Tunkwa Lake and the Trojan Pond - near the town of Logan Lake, British Columbia (45 minutes from Kamloops).
Number of Competition Sessions: Five, 3-hour sessions of loch-style fishing.
Entry fee: $225.00 per person (proceeds donated to B.C. Children's Hospital).
Entry fees include a breakfasts and lunches served at The Trojan Pond on Friday and Saturday.
Awards: Medals will be awarded to the top three teams and individuals, and the Cup to the top team.
Competition Rules: FIPS-MOUCHE rules apply with special permission being granted for the use of multiple fly rigs on the Trojan Pond competition venue (a maximum of 3 flies).
Eligible species: Rainbow Trout.
Minimum length: 18cm.
Maximum motor size: 9.9hp
No-fishing Policy: There will be a 30 day no-fishing policy in effect for Tunkwa Lake from May 19 - June 16, 2014. The Trojan Pond has a no-fishing policy in effect for a period of 60 days prior to the competition. All competitors and their agents are not allowed to fish the competition lakes during this period of time.
Practice: There will be no offical practice for this year's championship, but Tunkwa Lake will be open for unofficial practice on June 16th, 17th, and 18th (boats may be rented at Tunkwa Lake Resort). Competitors are responsible for supplying their own boats for unofficial practice, and can be rented from Tunkwa Lake Resort: www.tunkwalakeresort.com 

Here are some details and statistics from last year's championship:
Number of sessions: 5 sessions (3 hours per session)
Number of competitors: 50 competitors (10 teams)
Total number of fish caught & released: 912 rainbow trout
Most fish recorded after 5 sessions: Todd Oishi - 37 fish
Largest fish of the championship: Mike Ohata - 47.0 cm

Tunkwa Lake Venue Statistics:
Number of fish recorded at Tunkwa Lake: 37 fish (1 session)
Most fish recorded in a single session at Tunkwa Lake: Terence Courtoreille and Darin Benoit - 3 fish each
Largest fish recorded at Tunkwa Lake: Mike Ohata - 47.0 cm

Trojan Pond Venue Statistics:
Number of fish recorded at Trojan Pond: 875 fish (4 sessions)
Most fish recorded in a single session at Trojan Pond: Todd Oishi - 18 fish
Largest fish recorded at Trojan Pond: Ernie Kalwa - 46.6 cm

Maximum number of teams (and competitors): 14 five-person teams (70 competitors).
Registration: Competitors can register as teams or will be assigned to a team if they choose to register as an individual (registration is based on a first-come-first-served and qualification basis, with 3 of the spots being reserved for international teams and competitors).

Here's the list of the teams and individuals that have officially qualified and already secured a spot (qualification is based on a top 50% finish during the past 2-year cycle of the loch-style fly fishing championships)...

Official List of Confirmed Teams and Competitors:
(please forward team member names to Todd Oishi)

1. Team Cormorant:
Todd Oishi (Captain)
John Nishi
Terence Courtoreille
Rob Stroud
Chris Puchniak

2. Team Rise Form:
Geoff LeClair (Captain)
Brian Chan
Lloyd Horwood
Darryl Fischer
Mike Ohata
Jason Ladyman (Alternate)

3. Team MRFD:
Robert Ramsay (Captain)
Devin Ramsay
Lyle Heinrich
Tim Bernardo
Michael Pierce

4. Team King Fishers:
Vance Whitley (Captain)
Kevin Cucheron
Martin Payne
Matthew Mikes
Brennan Lund (Youth Team Member)

5. Team Mustang:
Wayne Yoshizawa (Captain)
Norm Godding
Aaron Laing
Marc Bilan
Alistair Grogan

6. Team Northern Boyz:
Gary Hanke
Jim Trewin
Justin Hardy
Doug Thorpe
Dustin Pico

7. Team Motley Crew:
Peter Huyghebaert (Captain)
John Wilkinson
Tony Moore
Janos Boda
Mike Briggs

8. Team Airflo
Alasdair Mair
Len Buckley
Jordan Viveiros
Marius-Adrian Dumitru
Andy Larkin

9. Team, Tight Lines:
David Heine (Captain)
Claude Cippelletti
Richard Chalke
Peter Morrison
Pat Porada

10. Team Flytastic 5
Jason Doucette (Captain)
Dean Kolody
Josh Gelinas
Ian Gazely
Donny Boake (Youth Team Member)

11. Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team:
Noah Kelly (Captain)
Evan Patterson
Matthew Dirksen
Mattia Mangione
Matthew Nielsen

12. Team Osprey:
Ernie Kalwa (Captain)
Tom Irvine
Phil Irvine
Darin Benoit
Cosmin Muresan

International Teams (reserved for international teams):

13. _ _ _ _ _ _

14. _ _ _ _ _ _

Individuals seeking a spot on a team:
1. Brennan Lund (Youth Team Member)
2. _ _ _ _ _ _
3. _ _ _ _ _ _
4. _ _ _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ _ _

Please confirm that you'll be "attending" on this page, and contact Todd Oishi in order to officially register your team and team mates, or to register yourself as an individual for this event (individual will be placed on a team): info@lochstyleflyfishing.com

Here's a link to the web cam at Tunkwa Lake for those who might want to check out the scenery and group gatherings for the event: http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/webcam.php

You should be able to view the crowd on Thursday morning at 8:30am till 9:00am, as they meet for the competitors' meeting, and again from 12:00pm till 1:00pm when we break for lunch and prepare for the second session, and one last time around 4:00pm as the competitors come in for the end of the day.

Here's a few photos from last year's championships on Tunkwa lake and the Trojan Pond:

Team Bronze Medalists: Lloyd Horwood, Mike Ohata, Geoff LeClaire, Darryl Fischer, Jason Ladyman

Team Silver Medalists: Darin Benoit, Tom Irvine, Ernie Kalwa, Phil Irvine, Mark Felberg

Team Gold Medalists: Todd Oishi, John Nishi, Rob Stroud, Terence Coutoreille, Chris Puchniak

Individual Medalists: John Nishi (bronze), Todd Oishi (silver), Rob Stroud (gold)

Hope to see you at the 2014 North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championships
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:13:20 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

John Kent

• 5 Star Member
  • Fox Creek, Alberta, Canada
    • View Profile
Hmmmm....if I time my holidays right I may be able to attend this right after I return from the Parklands.

Claude Cipelletti

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. troutseeker
    • View Profile
Team Tightlines will be there!

David Heine (Captain)
Andy Larkin
Peter Morrison
Richard Chalke
Claude Cipelletti

Looking forward to this very well organized event!

Geoff LeClair

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, BC
    • View Profile
Todd, excited to hear that this year there will be a full day session on Tunkwa. I know that it got the unfortunate nickname of "Skunkwa" last year, but it really is a world class lake.

If you've never been to this event and are considering it for the first time, just do it! It's a lot of fun, and you will learn an amazing amount of things.

On that note, Todd can you also sign me up for the masterclass.  Great idea for a fundraiser for the Americas cup teams.

Geoff

John Kent

• 5 Star Member
  • Fox Creek, Alberta, Canada
    • View Profile
I LOVE TUNKWA! (There, I said it!)

Jason Doucette

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Flytastic 5 accepts the invite. I may need a few recruits if anyone is interested send me a message. Interested in Masterclass as well. Thank you.
Wishing you a memorable's day fishing.

J

David Heine

• 5 Star Member
  • Victoria, British Columbia
    • View Profile
I am pleased to say that Ian Troup has joined Team Tight Lines for the 2014 North American Loch-Style competition.  He is a great addition to the team and I am really looking forward to the competition.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Good addition Dave!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Motley Crew will be there!!! Gord Bacon has withdrawn and I have become defacto Captain.  We have a welcome addition to the team this year - John Kent has come on board.  So far then we have Peter Huyghebaert,  John Wilkinson, John Kent confirmed and awaiting confirmation from Andy Larkin and Mike Briggs.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Jason Doucette

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Once again please add Dean Kolody and Josh Gelinas to the FT 5 roster. Thank you.
Wishing you a memorable's day fishing.

J

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Motley Crew has just lost Andy Larkin as a team member due to his European sojourn after the Commonwealth Championships. So we have one, maybe two slots to fill with keen, never-say-die fly-fishers. Current crew consists of Peter Huyghebaert (Capt), John Wilkinson and John Kent. Interested individuals please send me a PM and we can discuss the way ahead. Motley Crew is due for a medal this year!!!!   8)
I Fish - therefore I am!

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
The Motley Crew is very pleased to announce the addition of Janos Boda to our team.  Even the huge trout in Manitoba fear him!!!!! 
I Fish - therefore I am!

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Solid team Peter.  I'll have to do a better job of not letting you beat me this year!

Well, I can at least try...   ;)
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
That's great news Peter! I'm looking forward to having Janos out for this year's competition!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
For sure I am looking forward to participating at this tournament and excited to meet everyone who will attend this event!!
Best Regards, Janos from Manitoba