Author Topic: Fishing shallow conditions.  (Read 1729 times)

Matthew Dirksen

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Matt51
    • View Profile
Fishing shallow conditions.
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
I was just fishing the Stave river today and the water was really low. I missed a couple fish. I am not sure how or where to target fish in these water conditions?

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Fishing shallow conditions.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
That is a big enough river that if the fish want to be in deep heavy water, they will just move until they find it.  A big river like can offer the fish whatever it needs at any time of the year.  If they want shallow water, they can find it. If the want deep slow water, they can find that too.  Sometimes those areas may be unreachable to a person on foot though.

So it may be that they are not in the same usual spot as you found them one day, but they are in the same type of water.  What you may need to do is look for the same type of in new spots, and see if the fish have moved there.

If they are in shallow water though, and they could be if fry are around (ie. The feed is shallow) and the water temps make the shallow water comfortable, you do have to change tactics a bit. Stay more out of the water is often one thing, as fish can be spooky in low water conditions (they know predators can get them there from above).  And go lighter in terms of flies.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Matthew Dirksen

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Matt51
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Thanks Chris I was not out too long today so I was not able to cover that much water.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »
Use unweighted patterns, cast LONG.

Often when fish are in the shallows people forget ways of casting long to them. Using a line that keeps the pattern off the ground while 'setting up' for where you will encounter fish is crucial (floater/12' ghost tip) and a pattern that will keep off bottom until you get in the zone.
I try and get above where I hope to hit them and then cast out beyond and above where a fish will be and allow the line to swing into the area mending  all the while to get the line straight between me and the fly and once I am where I feel I am in the game the retrieve starts at just enough cadence to keep it off or just tick bottom.
Remember fish will not hold in super shallow water but cruise or hold in deeper parts, depressions, or slots in the river and make forays into the shallows like a street gang looking for old ladies purses from the shadows of a 7-11 alley.
The BEST thing you can do is try to figure out where the alley is and toss the purse so it is grabbed as it falls into it like a gift from god. Not landing it in the alley that will spook the gang but so that it goes through like it was lost and just appearing randomly. ;)
Took this one out of 6" of water yesterday morning. He was about 6' off shore and I cast about 70' of line to hook him.

There's a look at my new streamer Todd, if you have X-ray vision and can see through the fish's head. lol
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:00:18 AM by Randy Paskall »
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Matthew Dirksen

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Matt51
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
Thanks, nice fish!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
Too funny Randy!  :) :)

Matthew,
When targeting fish in shallow water, I'll typically use a lighter and smaller pattern, and longer leaders, so I can keep my flies off the bottom and slow down my presentation to match the flow rate of the water (dead drift presentation).

I went out to Venue A this morning, and targeted the deeper areas (waist to chest deep water) as the fish had moved to this sort of water - over the shallow stretches of the river. I also targeted the areas were I saw fish rising and jumping (and there were lots!). The fish that were active - were willing, as I landed a dozen or so whitefish during the 3 hours that I spent fishing in this water. The shallow water didn't produce anything for me...

You have to be observant, and perhaps even walk your beat to watch for fish. Shallow or deep... If the fish are active, target them with whatever technique and weighted fly is appropriate for those waters...

Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:07:52 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
Well done Todd!  I love shallow conditions!  ;)
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman