Author Topic: Thwart board width?  (Read 4170 times)

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thwart board width?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
Is there a volunteer out there to do 24 for me until September:).
What would be the cost for the materials? Any info would be appreciated.
Br, Janos

Matthew Mikes

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
Ask your local highschool wood shop teacher if there are any students who need a project.  I always have students who need somthing to do.  Thwart boards are a fast and easy construction project for senior students.  I have a nice set, built to fit my Jon boat, that a couple students in my senior Class built.  Of course, I took them fishing as a payment.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
Here are some details on how to construct your own thwart boards, from my other website: http://www.lochstyleflyfishing.com/thwart_boards.htm
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »
Thanks Tood and Matthew! Do you have a rough estimate what would be the materials costs to create 24? We need 24 for the MB loch-style and I have to know approximately the price tag! Of course I will try to find volunteers to create them, however I like to have backup plan for the worse scenarios!
BR, Janos

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
Janos, just call your local building store for a quote on 24 - 2"X10"X6' boards, and a price on 8 - 2"X2"X8' boards. You'll also need 144 3" outdoor grade (rust resistant) screws.

That's all you need, but I chose to sand and apply a coat of clear-coat mine, so they'll look fresh, stay dry, and last longer...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Dave Bruce

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
Todd, that link you gave on you post "lochstyleflyfishing" was full of excellent information and links, much more than just Thwart boards. thanks for that.
There's no life like it!