Author Topic: Parklands: Stillwater Trout Heaven  (Read 1994 times)

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
Parklands: Stillwater Trout Heaven
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
Members of our Ottawa club have been going to the Manitoba Parklands now for over five years and this Fall I finally got to go.  In four days of fishing we landed over 50 large trout (22"+) and maybe 20 smaller ones (16"+)......it is still hard for me to regard 'smaller' trout at 16" but that is the Parklands.  By aerating these shallow lakes in the winter, the fish grow huge and fast.    Here is me with my first Tiger Trout at Twins.

Here is a closeup of the patterns.  Tigers are a mixture of Browns and Brookies and can be very aggressive with your flies.

Here is me fumbling with a 6# Rainbow at West Goose.  They were were "full of beans" with ST55F.  I couldn't hold it for a picture and off it went.

More pics of big browns.  You can see Todd's Vampire Leech in one of them.  It was my best fly but others caught lots on a variety of patterns.  They are eager for food.  Just get it in front of them (and be in the right place).

And another Tiger.  I was the only one to get Tigers of any size.  Just lucky (and then I had a day when I couldn't catch and others were hammering them)

This is our Mecca, boys.  You have to get there at least once.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Parklands: Stillwater Trout Heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
Great photos and trout, Bob! Glad to see that you guys had such good luck (really like the pattern as well ;) ).

I agree. Everyone must fish those lakes at some point in their fishing career...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
I am glad you had a great time in Manitoba Bob! This year I had a good outings at the Parkland lakes, many fish was caught. I am hoping one more trip could be done this weekend to Patterson Lake before freeze up!

Hum, was the Vampire Leech  working for you here?? I am probably doing something wrong, I caught only one fish on that fly here in the past 4-years :D! I must take a seminar on Vampire Leech fishing, you are not the first one who told me that the Vampire Leech is a hot fly in these lakes!

BR, Janos from Winnipeg

Marc Bilan

• Fly Fishing Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
Bob, I agree about the Parklands.  Every serious fly fisher should visit it at least once!  Love your pics of those tigers.  That brown trout in the net was a deep fish!  8)

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »
Looks like fun for sure. Next year it's Skeena country for us but the year after just might find us out there. =)
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Bob Jurmain

• 5 Star Member
  • Pakenham, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »
Every one in our group had their favorite fly, but since I started catching bigger fish sooner, I ended up handing out VP Leeches.  Good thing I had a pile of them.  I'm finding it hard to get that UV Polar Chenille.  If anyone has an source, I'd appreciate knowing it.

I started doing something different this trip and it seems to work with these heavier fish.  I like to fish two flies all the time, the dropper 3ft from the line being flashy and heavy.  These waters are turbid which is one reason the fish are so healthy and you need something to catch their attention.  The VP Leech fills the bill as well as a fly that trout seem to want.   I tie that on with a non-slip loop knot and then a 6 ft tippet with a perfection loop placed just above and resting on the knot.  I did not have that arrangement fail and the dropper has all the action it needs.  Then you put on your experimental flies at the point: other leeches, P-Quads, even got one on a Mickey Finn.   This arrangement is easy to cast and doesn't tangle up like the more traditional way of doing multiple flies with eight inch tippets off knots.  I used 0X leader material entirely.  I like to get those big fish in quickly and I don't like losing flies.

One of the fellows had some large fish casting dry boatmen into the toolies.  I got a couple with a wet boatman on the point.  There wasn't a huge "hatch" but they were going for them.   There a lot of big fish in relatively small shallow lakes and as a result they are constantly feeding.  It is quite an experience.  If you find yourself in the right place, it is a fish a cast and usually a large one at that.

We met Americans who have been coming to these lakes for years, one from Utah every Spring and Fall for 18 years!  The FLYPPR story is quite interesting.  Apparently, our Yankee friends started the whole thing and continue to contribute.

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
I see most fish from tubes, is there a boat launch at any of the lakes? Motor restriction? Just trying to see what's what when I do go. Pram and tube vs gas motor boat and like that.

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Randy,

Most of the Parkland lakes have electric motor only regulation, also they are relatively small, Patterson is the biggest, still it is only 320 acres. On some lakes like Tokaryk, it is OK to use a gas motor, however, no much point to use it, the lake is maybe 160 acres. I think on every lake there are a boat launch, however with the high water levels in recent years sometimes it is not that easy to launch a bigger boat. A Pram would be perfect, I found that with tubes, kicking is not that easy when it is windy, it is windy almost all the time here:).

Here is the MB anglers guide if you would like to see some of the restrictions on different lakes.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/fish/pdf/2014AnglersGuide.pdf

This year Patterson , Tokaryk, West Goose, Persse lakes were fantastic, Twin lake is still in recovery mode, it will be great again probably in 2-3 years. There are some other smaller lakes out there as well, just maybe they are not that consistent fish producers.

I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

BR, Janos
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:46:39 AM by Janos Boda »

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 06:01:03 AM »
Thanks Janos, am going to discuss it with the wife right this second! =)

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
No problem Randy, I hope you will have a great time when you will be here!
If you need some info on accommodations please ask, I might have some suggestions depend on your needs. This year I mainly use my Hotel Subaru Forester, I like to stay at lakes, no to worry about driving early mornings, late evenings :).

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »
Thanks Bob for your suggestions in the VP Leech fishing!

I got the Hareline Micro UV Polar Chenille UV Black at Fish Tails in Calgary, I am sure Robinson's Outdoor in Victoria has it as well some other colours came from them. I found that Matt and Andy is doing a great job at Robinson's when I am contacting them by email looking for fly tying materials.

Yes, Canada Post  fees are going up all the time, at the same time gasoline prices are going up as well, therefore still it is cheaper sometimes order things online especially when someone need many things and local shops do not carry anything that I am looking for.

For the Vampire Leech I am still using the original Vampire Vippy, which I believe it is not available anymore. Still I think the Hareline's Polar Chenille is very close enough and maybe other companies producing something similar as well.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »
Bob,

Canadian Llama Company sells an excellent product that's called UV Brill, which I use for tying the Vampire Leech. Here's a link to their site: http://www.canadianllama.com/chenille/brill-uv-standard
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
Thanks Todd to reminding me as well, that UV Brill is another awesome product to use for those leeches :).