Author Topic: Shades..... what you like?  (Read 3587 times)

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
Shades..... what you like?
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »
I am not so much concerned about the type of eye wear you like but the actual color of shade that seems to work best for you. I have a pair of "M" frame Oakley's that I love but I would like to purchase a few polarised lenses in different shades. My current ones are a rose/light brown and seem very good when bright but not as good when darker.

What do have and like about them? What advice do have?

Johnny
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Shades..... what you like?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
I have two sets and for the winter comp you need them.

My "quality" shades are Maui Jim bi-focals with a green tint. It would be nice if they were amber or copper, but they were only available in this shade when I bought them. I use these in normal to bright light situations and they rock. Great quality and the bifocals make tying on even the smallest flies a breeze. In Hawaii these are perfect.

My second "cheap" shades are yellow polarized Ray-ban knockoffs I ordered from china. Finding good quality yellow polarized lenses can be tricky. Even the big names, Maui, Smith, etc. only produce a few of these--not that they aren't available, only that they're not produced in any big numbers, so if you do find a seller 9/10 they are out of stock or on backorder. I use mine in low light conditions, and even though the lenses are crap optically speaking, they make a huge difference when tracking your sighter or seeing that quiet rise on the stream. Definitely worth finding a good yellow polarized lens if you can.

During the last comp I used the yellow until about 9:30 and again at around 14:00.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
I have been wearing Cocoons now.  I have an amber pair for most days, but I have a bright yellow pair for dark days.  The yellow helps to have as an option.  Clear polarized lenses would be beneficial.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
I use Persol polarized light blue during the day, and after the sun down I wear clear polrize  Bretta hunting glasses.
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
So really like my amber coloured lenses, but am considering picking up a pair of yellow lenses for low light conditions.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Randy Paskall

• BCCFFL Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • Wiley Coyote should have tried a fly rod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
Yellow. A high producing angler told me how it aids him in seeing fish. Not shadows, the fish themselves and what they are doing down there when your fly is going by. I asked him about when it gets bright - he said then I can see even better.
The angler - Robert Stroud.

Yep I took that advice to the bank.
Sorry, but you weren't catching that fish anyway.....

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 02:13:05 AM »
Hey Rany,  thanks for the tip!!! I will try it.
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Yellow. A high producing angler told me how it aids him in seeing fish. Not shadows, the fish themselves and what they are doing down there when your fly is going by. I asked him about when it gets bright - he said then I can see even better.

I'll second Randy's comments, and Rob's observations.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
An interesting review of a low-light polarized lense: http://afgmag.com/low-light-polarized-lens/
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »

Stroud? Who's that?   :o

I have taken to using yellow more and more during the bright days too.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.