Author Topic: Indicator thought experiment  (Read 1104 times)

Alex Argyros

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
Indicator thought experiment
« on: February 05, 2015, 05:12:40 AM »
Here is a thought experiment.  I'd love to hear some comments on it from members of the board.

Imagine that you're fishing a riffly run with, let's say, three feet of water.   And, you're making short upstream casts, of around 20 ft.

Now, imagine two scenarios.  Both involve the same nymph(s), weight, length of leader, etc.  Both involve casts that are essentially upstream.  But, with one scenario you use a sighter, with another a bobber. 

The question is, what are the advantages, shortcomings, of each method.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1.  The bobber method would result in the bobber (being at the surface where the water is faster) pulling the flies slightly.  The disadvantage of this is drag, the advantage is that there is a relatively tight line between the bobber and the flies. so strike should be signaled quickly.
2.  The sighter method allows for angler adjustments (over rocks, into deeper or shallower runs).  It also permits a closer approximation of a dead drift. 

Thanks in advance for your observations.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:46:22 AM by Alex Argyros »

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Indicator thought experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »
Alex these are two good scenarios!  In my modest opinion the  first scenario of casting a bobber upstream is not workable,  the bobber will land and then do land the nymphs! Placing  the  bobber ahead of my nymphs means I will be fishing my flies with a drag without possibility of mending.   
This scenario could be workable if  I could cast up and across at 45 degree angle. In this case I can immediately mend to the left, so that  the nymphs travel in the current ahead of the bobber. 

The second scenario is easier. I would can use a spiral sighter, make the cast , and as the current move the nymphs closer to me I would  raise rod tip and be in contact with the nymphs and sighter at all time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:58:40 PM by Alex Berger »
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
I would agree with Alex, I MHO I feel that the bobber will only to often drag the nymphs in the water downstream faster than they need to be moved. But using a French Style curly type of indicator would provide a more natural drift and can also be easier mended without disturbing the surface water as much.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »
I like the coil in faster water but smooth; when fishing pocket water with alot of rocks, straight sighter might be a better choice.  You know, Ive been using the Red Amnesia line 15lb to make my coils but find at greater distance, very hard to see, I wonder if those soft plastic premade key chain type coils that are much thicker could be effective?