Author Topic: Favorite Fly  (Read 5570 times)

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Fly
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:47 PM »
Cant go wrong with a pumpkinhead on an intermediate in the shallows/reeds in the fall.
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....

Brennan Lund

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
classic ;)

Stu Thompson

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 04:57:08 AM »
The recipe for my fly is pretty easy. If you go to www.darkwaterdubbing.wordpress.com you will see an article for it on the website. Pretty easy to tie.

Bill Pollock

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
A Beaver Leech!! Stillwater wonder, especially during spring say May into mid June. Bear hair tail beaver fur dubbing and a black tied back black hackle collar. Fish it whatever way you like it just works!

Bill Pollock

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
Beaver Leech!! Stillwater wonder especially during spring from ice out till mid June. Bear hair tail, beaver dubbing body and a black hackle tied back collar. Fish iy anyway you like it just works!!

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
 Hey why are you fellow's not showing your Fly's come on let's  "Share the Pattern & Recipe " take a picture like Stu .

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:27:14 PM by Rod Boisvert »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »
Great idea, Rod!

Here's my Vampire Leech:

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
HEY TODD , I SEND YOU A PM - MESSAGE  ,  LOVE THE " VAMPIRE LEECH " !

FlyRod .
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:57:03 PM by Rod Boisvert »

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
How do I post a bigger picture like your's or Gary or Stu  ?

FlyRod .

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
Variant GRHE a river and creek favorite. Just change up the Flouro Brite ribbing according to light and water conditions. It is fished either as a dropper fly on a Euro rig or in a wet fly fashion either upstream or on a downstream swing. I have also fished it in lakes as a top or mid fly during a buzzer hatch. I call this pattern "Tidily Bits" The pattern is put together by wrapping Flourobrite down the hook shank to the bend of the hook and then returned towards the hook eye with 3-4 wraps. You can add a tail of Coq de leon, which I like in flowing water scenerios. Half hitch at this point after the tag is laid in place. Split the 120 denier Flourobrite and add in Hares Ear from the ears or brow of the mask. As you know there are five kinds of hair on a hairs mask. The intent is to keep the hair short, sparse and spiked, thats why we use the hair from the locations on the mask that I mentioned. Spin the split thread to a good tight rope and wrap forward to behind the bead. When wet the flourbrite at the core of the dubbing technique gives an undertone from the flurobrite colours that hi-lights the hares ear fur. When behind the bead head add a very small amount of Hends Micro Flash dubbing to hi-light the head area. Brush out the Micro flash dubbing. Picric acid dyed Hares Mask "Tidley Bits" are my favourite for streams. It has the right hue of Golden Olive from the dying process that is just stunning when wet.

These are all a size #14. But should be tied from #10-18.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:07:42 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
How do I post a bigger picture like your's or Gary or Stu  ?

FlyRod .

I load my photos into a Photobucket File and then copy and paste the image code on this site. 

photobucket.com

Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia