Author Topic: Leader length  (Read 3219 times)

Peter Little

• View Profile
Leader length
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
Need advice please on leader length relative to water depth when using a sink tip (1 metre) line on stillwaters.
Thanks,
Peter

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Leader length
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
It really depends on the pattern and presentation, but overall, I like using a 10 foot leader on my Rio Midge Tip line.

I use shorter leader lengths for deeper presentations on full sinking lines.

I hope this makes sense and helps.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:15:55 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

John Wilkinson

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
I like a leader around 12' for sinktips or slow sink lines. If you are working the shallows with clear water a longer leader will be more stealthy.

Johnnylucksack.
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:11:12 PM »
Leader length for me mostly depend on how many flies in the cast. I like to space flies 4'-5' from each other, for 3 flies probably I would use 15'-18' leader, for two flies 10'-12' is good enough, for one fly 5'-7', mostly I use 2 flies in a cast as MB regs allow two flies. Still sometimes I construct 3 flies leader, just do not use one tag with fly on it in MB. Yes, as Todd mentioned with faster sinking lines I might use shorter leader, still if I switch from type 1 to type 5 line, I might not bother to shorten the leader right away.
I hope this helps! BR, Janos

Peter Little

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:48:32 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!  Sure like this forum.
Peter

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:04 AM »
You're very welcome!

I forgot to ask if you're fishing with a single fly or multiple flies (and if so, how many).
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Ron Thompson

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, B.C. Canada
    • View Profile
    • www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
Of course it depends on depth but most of the time I use a 12' leader for most of my fishing, but there are old school fisherman who use 20-25 foot leaders all the time. The only time I use a longer leader is when I plan on fishing deep.
Fishing is not about fish.
THE TUG IS THE DRUG
Do you want flies with that order.
www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca

Robbie Bell

• 5 Star Member
  • Berwick upon Tweed, England
    • View Profile
    • Scottish Borders Fly Fishing
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »
Hi There,

For my way of thinking any question about fishing never has a definite answer.

It all depends............ :-)

If it was only a single fly I would go with around 12 to sixteen feet with the wind in my favour.

if the wind was against when bank fishing then it would depend on the fly. A tungsten bead may turn over that length depending on the strength of the wind.

For really strong winds or less aero dynamic flies a shorter leader is required and I may go down to as little as six feet.  It can also be as little as 2 or 3 feet if fishing something like a booby just off the bottom with a fast sinking line.

Presentation in my book always trumps distance.

I would prefer not to go below 8 or 9 feet as this allows a quick change of fly line which is often the case when Stillwater fishing. 
Also if it is easy to change something then you are more likely to make that decision.

For multiple flies there is a very good chance you may also need to change your fly line during a day so that means you need to start with around 8 to 9 feet to your top dropper (Bob Fly) assuming a 10 foot rod.

Then you need to think about the number of flies.

As Janos said around four to five feet is a good distance but other factors do come into play.

For lure (streamer) fishing nowadays I normally only use two flies and if Loch Styling I would use a 21 feet leader with ten feet to the first fly. Especially in very clear water and in later sessions of a competition.

For buzzer fishing I would use a 21 feet leader with four flies but for that you need a landing net around 10 to 12 feet long to net a fish on the point fly when the Bob Fly is at your tip ring. :-)

In coloured water I know at least one Champion who would advocate 3 lures three feet apart!  I am not sure I have the gonads for that method!

Although I have never done it myself I have heard of 30 feet plus leaders being used.

This was for a floating line in a flat calm on a hot summers day with a stratified lake and the fish gone deep.

Hopefully by now you may be getting the impression that it all depends........... :-)  :-)

Best Regards

Robbie

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »
For anchored fishing 8-10 feet is fine.

For loch style fishing with a single fly (in Canada) our little baby-Minnkota drogues and small boats make us drift way too fast even in normal wind conditions so shorter leaders (~6 feet sometime as small as 3) are necessary to actually get your fly to the happy place.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:13:34 AM by Andy Larkin »