Author Topic: New Changes for Drogues in the 2017 Season and Going Forward...  (Read 2028 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
This is an official League announcement regarding the requirements for drogues for loch-style fly fishing competitions that are sanctioned by the British Columbia Competitive Fly Fishing League. These new changes will take effect for the 2017 season and going forward.

Rule Change:
- Para drogues will be allowed for all loch-style competitions that are sanctioned by the British Columbia Competitive Fly Fishing League in the 2017 season and going forward.

- Para drogues (homemade or store bought) must comply with the 25 square feet dimension requirements as per the International Rules & Regulations for Boat Fishing Competitions.

Here's an example of what a para drogue looks like:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
The bottom line is that with the internet and online shopping, para drogues (which are far more effective for the style of boats that we use for our competitions) are readily available for purchase or very simple to build your own. Having a full year to either purchase or build your own para drogue will allow a smooth and fair transition for all boat owners and competitors.

Thank-you for your consideration on this important matter.
Todd Oishi

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Changes for Drogues in the 2017 Season and Going Forward...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
We did not have any restriction on drogues at last year MB Provincials, still most drogues were Minn Kota standard ones, only John Beaven used a para-drogue. Yes, he won the comp:), therefore my is just ordered from the UK...
Do you know who carries the Para-Drogues in Canada? I love to see them at next year Nationals!
Thanks, BR, Janos

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »
We did not have any restriction on drogues at last year MB Provincials, still most drogues were Minn Kota standard ones, only John Beaven used a para-drogue. Yes, he won the comp:), therefore my is just ordered from the UK...
Do you know who carries the Para-Drogues in Canada? I love to see them at next year Nationals!
Thanks, BR, Janos

Yes, the para drogue does offer a very big and distinct advantage to the user, as they allow you to drift at a much slower speed, which in turn allows your flies more time to sink and the ability cover a greater range of depths. It also allows you the luxury of a wider range of retrieval rates and better control and contact with your flies.

This is why we don't allow them to be used in  British Columbia, as the majority of the competitors don't have para drogues, so in order to be fair (and to follow FIPS-Mouche rules) everyone is required to use the exact same drogue for sanctioned competitions, so no one has an advantage over the rest of the group...

Here's the article from FIPS-Mouche's Competition Rule book:

ARTICLE 24:
24.3. When the use of drogues is allowed in the Rule Modifications, the host organisation must provide identical drogues for each boat.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
Yes, also the boats have to be identical, I believe :)!
20.1 Competition boats should be of equal size, design, structure and power for each sector.

However, many previously sanctioned competitions moved away from this rule.

A 12' boat will drift with different speed than the 16' boat, if the same Minn Kota drogues are used on both:).

Allowing different drogues is no different than allowing different size, shape, and powers on a boat, I would think :)!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:54:17 AM by Janos Boda »

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Janos, if you read very closely, you'll notice that they use the words "should be" in regards to boats, but use the words "must be" in regards to the drogues.

The boats have some flexibility, but drogues must all be of the same design for all of the reasons that I mentioned.

Thanks,
Todd

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 05:26:54 AM »
Personally I prefer the rules should give flixibilty to event organizers. Also, I found that the standard Minn Kota drogues are not good enough for the winds that we have sometimes at the Parkland. "Matching the hatch" is critical for fly fishers, matching the boat with appropriate drogue is important as well.

Yes, I found that the English version of the FIPS rules are not clear enough and conflicting sometimes - one example beside boats & drogues is the "fine wire" which has very different meaning to different people. I heard that the original language of the FIPS rules is not English.

At major completion like Internationals for sure my personal preference would be, same boats and drogues at a venue.

I have to check out the retailers in Canada for the para-drogues.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:36:38 AM by Janos Boda »

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
Can anyone comment on which brand is best? I haven't used these before but I am looking to pick one up. Thx
Team Kingfisher member

Janos Boda

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:47:45 AM »
I use Airflo, I assume that all very similar, not much differences if the dimensions are the same.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:50:03 AM by Janos Boda »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
I use a Wychwood international Paradrogue Mike.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Matthew Dirksen

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Matt51
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Duct tape. I prefer black! :)

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
Duct tape. I prefer black! :)

Yeah, I don't have any black duct tape ... Thought I did, but guess I was wrong.
Team Kingfisher member

Norm Godding

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
Mike, I use a Grey's para drogue and it stops my boat 'dead'.  Also collapses and redeploys by itself when I move the boat