Author Topic: CR Special-  (Read 1290 times)

Robert Stroud

• Fly Fishing Team Canada Member
  • 3 Star Member
  • Prince Geoge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
CR Special-
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
Prior to posting this fly pattern, I thought I should remove the fishing report. I left it there because it is important. I have thousands of flies, most of which I've been fortunate enough to have the person responsible for show me how/when to fish them. In addition to that, my log book will also indicate everything as below and then some. I think it is important to include what knowledge we are willing to share about the the pattern as we would in our own fishing logs. From here it's not just another pattern in our box. It will have purpose. Most of the flies in my boxes tell a story or two.

CR Special

April 10, 2012- Rainbow Trout & Whitefish, 0 to Hero.

2.5m, 5lb Fluoroflex Plus. Frog water fished straight across to down and across with an 888 retrieve (Slow figure 8 for 8 seconds then 8 inch strip, pause, repeat if necessary. Fried chicken breakfast and roast beef sandwiches for lunch. It was a fun day with Colette.

Weather: Sun and cloud, 8-12 Celsius
Water temp: Flipping cold (I didn't bring my therm.)
Water colour: Tannin/clear
Water Type: River, frog water (the really slow sections)
Water depth: Crotch deep.
Reason for fly choice: Last one before the kitchen sink

Tying Instructions
Hook: Hanak 200BL, #12
Bead: 2.8-3.2mm, gold tungsten
Under body: Lead Wire wrap, 0.010. The added weight is negligible. The purpose is to build a taper in the thorax
Thread: Fire Orange, 6/0
Tail: Glo-brite #4
Rib: Small Gold Wire
Abdomen:  Dark Olive Squirrel Blend
Thorax:  Black Squirrel Blend
Hackle:  Brown, pushed back and length to reach hook bend

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: CR Special-
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
That's a great looking pattern Rob!!!

I loved "the reason for fly choice" data entry!  :D
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
I like reading posts like this where you see the thought process as to when the angler chooses to use the fly.  As you say, it's nice to see a fly from someone, but then also how and when they fish it.  It can tell a lot.

Nice acronym on the retrieve description too.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Aaron Laing

• 5 Star Member
  • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
Very nice, Rob. The "story" is great add on too. It's stuff I don't always write down, but probably should. I use a very similar pattern with a cdc collar in shallower, slightly faster tannic waters. It's become something of a goto fly for me.

Aaron
Randy Patton: "Did you get a picture? Did anyone see it? No? Then it never happened!"

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
Bumped for those that might have missed this post (thanks for the reminder Mike L.).
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...