Author Topic: Fishing Emergers  (Read 621 times)

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Fishing Emergers
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
Hey guys, so I was fishing the Willowemoc Friday night and trout were rising all around me.  Fish were leaping in the air while feeding, would take nothing on the surface,also, nymphing seemed to be a waste of time as well.  Reason I say this ,  I was using dries, Coachmen, Adams, Royal Wulff, Sulfurs, etc and could see the adults flying around, but no takes.  3 other guys were also fishing nearby and I believe 2 of them were nymphing and their efforts were equally unsuccessful.  Based on the trouts behavior,  I believe they were chasing nymphs to the surface, should we have been fishing emergers?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Fishing Emergers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
I would have definitely tried fishing soft hackles and emergers. Taking the time and effort to capture the naturals with a net, and then matching them with your flies, should prove to effective in a situation such as you've described.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Emergers
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »
As an update, I did go back last friday evening and did very well with a caddis emerger pattern (#16) on a dropper w a #14 Iso dry on top.  I kept my rod tip high after the cast and would skitter the dry along the surface after, allowing the emerger to sink to its full dropper length, approx. 8 inches or so.  Took some fish on the dry and some on the emerger, once on both!  Point is, I noticed that when they hit the emerger pattern, they were only interested if the emerger was in motion i.e., while lifting it during the skittering motion, no interest was demonstrated whatsoever dead drift.