Author Topic: Catskills, Esopus River nymphing  (Read 566 times)

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Catskills, Esopus River nymphing
« on: June 30, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »
Hey, so I was over at the Big E.  last saturday, fished for about an hour and a half, caught 2, a small rainbow and a nice brown, probably around 11 inches.  Used a 3 fly nymph rig w the coil, worked ok but im thinking that in some of the deeper runs, my flies were not getting down deep enough,negating the efficacy of the sighter. Of course, I could have readjusted by cutting and retying  but My feeling is that a thinga ma bobber indy or maybe yarn that is more readily adjustable might be a better option for certain stretches of the E. where profound changes in depth can occur.  Some of the holes were like 6ft or more in depth and when it gets the deep,  I think a floating surface sighter wouldbe a better choice, what do you think?

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Catskills, Esopus River nymphing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:54:56 PM »
You know, try a straight sighter, no coil, no floating indicator (unless the water is very very slow).  Use a length of tippet that is about 6' long (5x 6x... whatever you think is right for the river).  Add to this a 1' section of bright 8-10 pound mono.  Then add to that another section of clear mono about the same size.  Then add another 1' of a colored mono (same size, or maybe a tad bigger).  Now add to that whatever you need to reach your fly line - for me that is another 9' or so.

Now you have a length of bright sighter built into your leader than can let you fish water from 2' deep to almost 7' deep without any modifications.  You just let more leader 'sink' into the water if you want to fish deeper, and hold more out when you want to fish shallow.

Does that make sense?
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »
Oh, I should add that the 6' leader should incorporate whatever tags you need for a 3 fly rig.

Essentially you would be letting part of your sighter go into the water when in really deep water, and it would all be out in shallow water.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
Chris, yes, I do know what you mean and what a GREAT idea, Thank you!!  Ill try it and report back  :)