Author Topic: DamselCandy  (Read 1881 times)

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
DamselCandy
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
By utilizing the Chrono Candy material and tying technique of the body. It is easily adapted into larger mayfly nymphs, damsel fly nymphs and other creatures that are long and narrow in profile.
Here we have tied a damsel pattern that is not competition legal, but that is easily changed by replacing the bead chain witha single bead in brass of your choice or even not required.

Hook: Hends 600 or BL700 #6-10
Thread: Nano Silk 18/0 or 12/0 white
Tail: Coq de leon
Body: Corrugated plastic strip cut to size and coloured with Copic markers to suit
Thorax: Micro Straggle to suit pattern colour.... contrasting colours work best.
Head: Brass, Tungsten or 3mm plastic bead to suit pattern
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: DamselCandy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »
Very nice tying job, Gary! Thanks for sharing!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:27:51 PM »
Nice Ty Gary,
I like the idea in using the Chrono Candy material but I cant help to think the body looks to be a bit out of proportion for a damsel nymph. I wonder if a  bit more build up on the body might help this out.

Have you been able to give this pattern a good day on the water to see its effectiveness?
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Dennis Southwick

• 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Like the pattern very much.  Really like the straggle for the head.  Also saw your post Re: the Klinkhamer were Hans is now using the straggle in place of the peacock. I will have to give it try.  I've been experimenting with it on some of my soft hackles.  Great stuff.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:20:55 AM »
Hi Dennis, The Peacock Herl CITIES ban is already taking effect in a couple of countries. I had a packaged delayed by US Fish and Wildlife because of the Peacock ban. Thats is why Hans has moved into the straggle string on many of his patterns that have in the past used peacock herl. The other country that is currently enforcing the ban is Australia and New Zealand. They are confiscating the flies and laying down fines if you are unable to proof purchase prior to the ban. We know this from our worldwide distribution of the Semperfli product lines out of HQ in England.
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
Hi Gord, yes that profile need to be built up a bit more to be slightly more accurate. But everyone got the idea of what is being applied.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »
Hi Gord, I fished a similar pattern last year on several occasions. The body and eyes where the same as far as materials go, but where in different colours
. But the body had a narrower profile. It worked reasonably well considering it was a point fly and there wasnt much damsel fly activity. It was an olive pattern as well. I have a lake that I fish that is kind of my test lake for flies about 1/2 an hour away. The Rainbows run 15- 2 pounds in size. The lake is gin clear almost always. So my control factor is the water clarity on this private lake.

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 04:36:43 PM »
Hi Gary,
I have no doubt you have great success with this fly. Thank you for taking the time to share not only the pattern but your experience fishing it.

Gord
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Rod Boisvert

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. FlyRod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
 It Never fail's another great looking Fly Gary !
                                                                     FlyRod .