Author Topic: Sage ESN reel recommendations  (Read 578 times)

Chris Burns

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
Sage ESN reel recommendations
« on: November 19, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »
Hi Everyone
I have a Sage ESN 10ft 3 weight that needs a reel. I was wondering if you folks have recommendations on a reel and size to balance the rod. I was thinking of a sage click 3/4/5 but it is a high price point. Any recommendations would be great.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Sage ESN reel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
I find I like a light reel, such as a Lamson litespeed 3.5, but that isn't a cheap reel per se.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
I went to this model last year. It is in the SRP range of 300.00 It has a sealed needle bearing drag system that is ultra smooth. The drag system consists of cork against Delrin and is so soft and reliable. This style of drag system has with stood the test of time and is as smooth and reliable as you will ever get. The reel is extremely light weight. Left or right hand retrievable. A very light weight and highly functional large arbor fly reel. Picar HVC is milled out of 6061 aluminum block and has a very soft and comfortable walk. It is salt and freshwater ready. If you would like more information on this reel, please just send me a personal note. Although I have posted a picture of the 5/6 both the 3/4 and the 7/8 are exactly the same design proportionally.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:40:40 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
Hey Chris

I have been using a Teton Tioga #2 fly reel on my Echo 10' 3wt and I love it! Well built with a solid drag system. Have had many a fish ripping on that reel and it is still like brand new. Balances very nicely on the 10' rod.

Johnnydrag
****** The Fish Whisperer ******