Author Topic: Euphiceiid  (Read 407 times)

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Euphiceiid
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Fly I whipped together a few nights ago for my first src beach fishing.  Worked well but needs more testing, and durability improvements.  Here are some pics showing two originals and one of the new ones. I went with pink but I imagine other colours would work as well.

Original recipe (bottom and left fly)
Hook: hanak h230
Thread: flo pink utc 140
Tail: pink bucktail
Body: Flo hot pink uv ice dub
Rib: small silver wire
Shellback: peice of an old fly tying material bag

Issue was the bag was rather fragile for the Shellback, and the wire, being run outside the Shellback didn't hold materials well (also wasn't anchored in place.   The new recipe I sought to rectify these issues.

Hook: hanak h230 (top right fly)
Thread: flo pink utc 70
Tail: pink bucktail
Body: Flo hot pink uv ice dub
Rib 1: small silver wire
Rib 2: 5x fluorocarbon
Shellback: thin skin fly specks mini clear/black

Giving this a go today so hope to report back with success.

I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Euphiceiid
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
Great looking pattern, Doug! Thanks for sharing, and please post an update on your rwults with the pattern with the improvements.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Doug Thorpe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Euphiceiid
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:40:59 PM »
Well first trip out with the improvement was a bust, 30 plus km/h winds made conditions less then ideal but I hope to give it a toss somewhere tomorrow.
I chase the allure of standing in a river, casting dries in an attempt to watch that beast come up and take my fly.  Then I usually blow it by setting the hook to soon....