Author Topic: Fly boxes for nymphs....  (Read 856 times)

Jon Leclair

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
Fly boxes for nymphs....
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »
Hello everyone,

With this cold snap I've hid away and started cranking out flies for next season.

I would like to sort my flies based loosely on weight.

My question is what boxes are you guys using?

Jon

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Fly boxes for nymphs....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
Hi Jon,

I'm a huge fan of the Tacky Fly Boxes. They're ideal for carrying a wide variety and great number of nymphs. I really like the silicone slotted base (doesn't absorb water) and the fact that the lid is clear, which offers you the luruxy of keeping your flies dry while examining and selecting your flies in a rainstorm.

They're also very slim in design, which allows me to carry 3 or 4 in a single front pouch of my chest pack.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:25:26 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

David Bisnett

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Checked em out online and they look good albeit a bit expensive; what size do you like?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Here's a less expensive copy of the Tacky Fly Box, which a lot of fly shops are carrying:

It costs about half the price of the original and will do the job almost as well if you're on a tight budget.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:45:15 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gerry Chervet

• 3 Star Member
  • A.K.A. gerry613
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:17 AM »
What's the brand name of this one ?

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
They're just an inexpensive copy that a lot of shops sell. I'll check for the name the next time I'm in a shop.

Francois Dallaire

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/FtMLf0KkuW0?t=46

I've switched to this.

http://www.orvis.com/p/super-slim-fly-box/2x5k

The plastic hinge will crack eventually if you open it up too wide but they are so cheap that I don't care.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
I like the Tacky boxes, but they are more pricey. 

The other options Todd and Francois post are great.  I think a lot of slim slit foam boxes are made by one or two companies and mass produced and branded under several different names (such as TFO, etc...) - I find any of the slit foam boxes good, but for nymphs it is hard to beat the version that is only 3/8 of an inch deep (again, branded under several different companies).  I think it holds just under 200 flies or so, and you can carry several on you as they are so thin.  I usually carry 1 tacky Day Pack as my working fly box, and then have maybe 4-5 of the thinner slit foam boxes holding all my other nymph flies.

I carry 1 or 2 of the other slightly deeper boxes (slit foam) for my dries and streamers, which require a little more space than the thin one can offer.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »
Because of minimizing requirements during actual competition timelines per session. I decided to go with a very small magnetic based fly boxes that are 85mm x 55 mm. A couple of these once the flies are predetermined for the sessions seems to work well for me and they can be attached via a retriever on the side of the box on the plastic loop ringing (Add a split ring first) and in my jacket pocket or vest pocket. Flies are sorted by weight and size for the none weighted patterns. I like the magnetic backs in the slots because it keeps my flies from moving around so that they have a tendency to stay sharp longer and they wont fall out of my box due to a wind gust or by accidentally tipping the box. I liked them so much that I decided to carry these in our company.

We sell these to our dealer clients and they retail around $11.95 for the 2 sided small box and  $5.95 for the single sided larger box.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Gerry Chervet

• 3 Star Member
  • A.K.A. gerry613
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 06:26:11 AM »
Interesting Gary, thanks for sharing.
So i guess the magnets are strong enough for tungsten beads .. have you ever had flies coming off (with 4mm beads ?)

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:36 AM »
So i guess the magnets are strong enough for tungsten beads .. have you ever had flies coming off (with 4mm beads ?)

Thats the bead size on the left both in 4.0 mm normal slots and 3.8 mm small slots some with flat lead and some with out. You see the 1.4 gram  Czech nymphs and the 1.0 gram jigs writing on the bottom photo?. They dont just fall out. I actually have to jolt them some to have the heavier jigs fall out.
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Gerry Chervet

• 3 Star Member
  • A.K.A. gerry613
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »

Thats the bead size on the left both in 4.0 mm normal slots and 3.8 mm small slots some with flat lead and some with out. You see the 1.4 gram  Czech nymphs and the 1.0 gram jigs writing on the bottom photo?. They dont just fall out. I actually have to jolt them some to have the heavier jigs fall out.

I see ... pretty good.