Author Topic: Cortland Competition Euro rod - Cdn Availability? Any other recommends?...  (Read 878 times)

Mike Smith

• A.K.A. smitty
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone:

I am looking to purchase a Cortland Competition rod. Couple of questions:

1. I am located in Edmonton, no shop consistently carries euro-nymphing rods. Before I get soaked on the USD /CAD dollar exchange and shipping across the border, does anyone know any shop in Canada that carries this rod?

2. Aside from that, can anyone recommend a "beginner", entry level euro-nymphing rod that is available in Canada at an affordable price? Looking to spend $300, budget wise.

Cheers!
Mike

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
Hi Mike,
I am searching for the same thing as you are. Only thing I found so far is an American site www.tacticalflyfisher.com where I talked to Devin Olsen. Super helpful guy. He sells the 3wt 10'6" Cortland along with a bunch of cool stuff. It would work out to be  CAD$328 plus $10US  for shipping to Vancouver area.
I am really contemplating to get it. Let me know if you find a better deal please;)
Thanks
Any river, any time...

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
Try Loomis and Franklin nymphing rods. With a price of 150CAD for a 10' 2# or 3# can't be beaten. At proflyfishing.net Also there are Soldarini's rods at 350CAD HIDROPSYCHE ST 10' 3#

Brian Danilkiewicz

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Fred's in Abbotsford, have the Echo shadow II on sale for $219! I personally have fished this rod and think it's a great rod for that price point!!

One thing to think about is warranty! I've sent two echo shadow rods in both times I had the rods back within a week and a bit and the service charge was $30! The second time they just sent a whole new rod!
Team Kingfisher

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
I'm with Brian! A durable, strong rod with a good feel and action. Great rod for the money.

JohnnyEcho
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Mike Smith

• A.K.A. smitty
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The Echo Shadow II's intrigue me. Was hoping the 3 weight model comes in 10'6", but only the 4 weight does.

That seems to be a very decent price, I'll have to look into this further.

Cheers,
Mike

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
Hey Mike

They have an extension kit you can buy for the Echo Shawdow II. I think it is around $70

Johnnyecho
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
I just found a pretty good read about the Echo Shadow II.
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gear_reviews/rod-review-echo-shadow-ii/
Any river, any time...

Ernie Kalwa

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

My company is the new Canadian importer and dealer of the new Cortland 4piece Competition Nymphing rods!

10ft 3wt
10ft 4wt
10.5ft 3wt
10.5ft 4wt

We haven't put them up on our website yet, but can ship them to you anywhere in Canada for $330 CAD each including shipping.

They retail for $249 USD (=$330 CAD) PLUS shipping PLUS customs/duty/taxes, so this is a great deal!

Drop me an email at info@elktradingco.com and we can arrange payment by Interac email money transfer or Paypal (add 4%).

Cheers,
-Ernie.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:58:08 PM by Ernie Kalwa »

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Nice Ernie!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Bret Schroder

• View Profile
Just a heads up, these rods are now available to order at the fishin hole, price $350 CAD

Ernie Kalwa

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile

... and available by special order from my company (ELK Trading Co.) with shipping anywhere in Canada for $330 CAD each including taxes and shipping. Just message me to order one of these great rods.

Please note: Cortland has discontinued the 10ft rods. They now only offer 10ft-6inch (10.5ft) rods in both 3wt and 4wt.

Bret Schroder

• View Profile
Re: Cortland Competition Euro rod - Cdn Availability? Any other recommends?...
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
Awesome Wenie, great price. Thinking about ordering one for the spring:)

Ernie Kalwa

• 2 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Ospreys
    • View Profile
Re: Cortland Competition Euro rod - Cdn Availability? Any other recommends?...
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »
Great, Brent! Message me to reserve one for the Spring. I'm currently sold out, but have more coming in November and December. They sell fast when I get them in as special orders. See the USA team using them on YouTube videos!!