Author Topic: Fly Fishing Canada Newsletter: NRPs and International Team Selections  (Read 751 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Fly Fishing Canada Newsletter

National Ranking Points and Team Selections
Revisions are currently being made to the FFC Competition Guide and Ranking Points System. National Ranking Points are used in the selection of International Teams.

An exceptional rule will be included  that allows for any team that wins a medal in an international competition to defend their title and allow substitutions for any members that can’t or don’t want to defend.

As such the Gold Medal Team from the 2016 Commonwealth Fly Fishing championships held in Mont-Tremblant has been selected to represent Canada in Ireland for the 2018 CFFC.

A second team will also be selected in the usual fashion, following the 2017 fall ranking points calculation.

Fly Fishing Canada Competition Rules:
The just completed 2017 rules can be found here: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5b029ce65d81225ba06f72821/files/a95dac56-47f1-4dce-9d74-4564cf4d1277/FFC_COMPETITION_RULES_revised_2017_FINAL.pdf

An abridged summary of the FFC competition rules can be found here: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5b029ce65d81225ba06f72821/files/347588ff-bc5f-4b7c-a426-bce7b0a9a902/FFC_Competition_Rules_Summary_FINAL.pdf

This is a great, quick reference for competitors and event organizers. Many thanks to Ivo Balinov and the rules committee for the great work and special thanks to John Beaven for steering the crew.

16th World Youth Fly Fishing Championships
UPDATE
The 2017 World Youth Fly Fishing Championships  will be held from 7 to 13 August 2017 in Savinja Valley Slovenia. Canada will field a team for the event. https://www.facebook.com/wyffc2017
Norm and Leslie Godding have volunteered to lead Team Canada and preparations are well underway.

Cortland is the major sponsor of the event and will partially fund Team Canada's registration fees and along with $2,000.00 in support from FFC makes this event more accessible to our young anglers. Thanks to Colin Huff and Tim Bezanson for their great fundraising work at the annual Cast and Blast for the benefit of Canada's youth anglers.

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Keefer

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fly Fishing Canada Newsletter: NRPs and International Team Selections
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
Big shout out to Cortland for their support. Great to see a brand step up and support youth competitors. Very impressed

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
I agree! It's great to see that they are sponsoring this event and the financial support that they are providing for the teams!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
Congrats to the Commonwealth guys!

I think that is an excellent exception rule.  It gives you guys time to build and plan, after demonstrating that you work well as a group.  I'll be watching you guys with envy as you continue to work on things for 2018!

With any luck, I'll be nearby as I will be trying hard for the Worlds team going to Wales.  Still a long ways in the future for team selection, but I need to start focusing now to make the team.  Maybe we can all share a pint in passing between events!

Will be wishing the Youth team the best of luck!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.