Author Topic: Bead head size  (Read 393 times)

Randy Clark

• thats why they call it fishing and not catching
    • View Profile
Bead head size
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
What are you using for bead size for 12 and 14 hook. I am thinking of going with 4mm 7/32 for the weight to reduce the amount of wire in the body.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Bead head size
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
Yeah, 85% of the time a 4mm bead on in a 12 or 14.  But that is because locally we are only allowed 1 fly and have to fish much steeper gradient west coast rivers, so we need to have a heavier fly in general.  If I was fishing 2 flies, and fishing where the rivers weren't so swift, I might use 3.5mm or 3.2mm on those size hooks more often.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
I use a 4.0mm bead as well. Tungsten all the way!!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
Some tungsten bead styles offer a normal slot cut in the bead, which is what most fly tiers are familiar with in NA. But there are also tungsten beads that are called small slot. As we know both weight and slimness of profile is what get you deep fastest. So by offering a 3.8 mm tungsten bead with a small slot cut. You have a 3.8 mm small slot bead that is the same weight as a 4.0 normal bead. Couple this with the small slots style because it has less material cut away from the bead it will fit easily on hooks from 14-18 in both standard wire designs and jig designs. Additionally there are new tapered body tungsten beads that can fit behind the bead head on any of the hook designs.

There is also a new pre-weighted tungsten bodied jig hook coming out on the market next year from what I am hearing. This will change the jig game considerably.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:26:52 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Good point, Gary! The quality from brand to brand is quite significant at times. It's best to stick with the higher quality beads.

I typically open the packages and test fit the beads on a sample of a hook that I carry, in order to ensure that the slot and hole aren't so large that the bead slides right over or blocks the eye of the hook.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
Thanks Todd, as you know there is a considerable difference from one manufacturer to another. Especially when you source the country of origin. Some have a high QA and some dont. As you suggested not all beads are the same size as stated on the packages. It is always a shame when a bead doesn't fit the official FIPS gauge and finding this out during a competition is usually not a good thing. Others have a QA issue where the bead slot is larger than it should be, especially on what is called a normal slot. The slot size or removal of to much material will reduce weight and at times deform the slot opening enough for the bead to slide over a hook eye on both straight shanked and jig  style hooks.

It is difficult to tell by the photos. The BN Beads are a normal slot that have  the standard cut of the slot like most beads on the market.

The small slot bead (Gold bead) as you can see has both smaller opening at the cut and is a considerably thinner cut . This then allows extra weight on a smaller bead to match weight on a bead one size larger with a normal cut..

But as always you get what you pay for..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:06:27 AM by Gary Hanke »
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
Do any of you have any experience with the slotted bead that are sold by Devin Olsen at his website Tactical Fly Fisher?  He states that they are true to size and have a smaller slots to maintain more weight.  The prices are very good which would make you wonder a little but I cant imagine that he would offer a second rate product.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
I highly recommend Devin's products! Everything that I have purchased have been too notch! Great service and fast delivery as well!

Brian Danilkiewicz

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »
Highly recommend the beads that Devin sells on his site!
Team Kingfisher

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
I am pretty sure that his beads are the bulk supply from a European company that have been repackaged under his own labelling, instead of them being purchased in pre packaged sleeves of 10.. But if I ask I doubt i will get a true answer....lol. Trade secrets you know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:39:07 AM by Gary Hanke »

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
Another note on Tungsten Beads is that not all beads of the same size have equivalent tungsten by weight in the bead. So some beads depending on origin will have a high percentage of tungsten by volume and others based on origin will have a low percentage of tungsten with lots of filler. Again it is what you are willing to pay for quality.

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
Thanks guys.  Better to ask people that have used these rather than buy from 5 or 6 places to discover which ones are good and which are not.

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
I also bought from Devin in the past  and they are great tungstens. IF I need something quickly locally, M&Y Flyshop has great quality slotted tungsten beads also that fits on #16 jig hooks perfectly
Any river, any time...

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 04:45:28 AM »
From my online shopping experience, quality changes in time, most of the time from great to good or lower, to bad. However, I risked a bit and bought from China in bulk and I had a nice surprise. Very good beads! :-) Maybe because it was first order, how knows. I still have some for sell.

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »
I picked up 1200 beads mixing in 7 colours and various sizes from Devin and they look great.  I tied a few flies with them and I like everything about them.