Author Topic: Thoughts on Competitor Controlled National Fly Fishing Championships (Part Two)  (Read 569 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Just revisiting this topic and thought that I'd share a format that I’ve developed for a 3—1/2 Day Competitor Controlled National Fly Fishing Championship (using the venues for the 2016 NFFC for this example) that would require absolutely no controllers, which always our biggest issue and concern when trying to incorporate river sessions into a championship and selecting venues to host our NFFCs.

A championship, such as the one in this example, would consist of 5 sessions of fishing (3 lake and 2 river sessions) and 2 sessions serving as a controller for 2 sessions. This format would eliminate the need for controllers on the river and ensures that none of the groups controls the same group twice. Competitors could split/share a beat and rotate the halves of the beats and controllers at the halfway point in the session, which will provide a great learning experience for the lesser skilled competitors, as they will have the opportunity to watch and observe how 4 different competitors approach and prepare for a river session...

A championship such as this could be held on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning, which wouldn’t be an issue, as we always seem to be at the location that's hosting nationals for a full week anyways...

DAY ONE           /             DAY TWO            /            DAY THREE         /    DAY FOUR
 Groups              Session 1 - Session 2  /    Session 3   - Session 4   /  Session 5   -  Session 6    /   Session 7
 Group A:           RIVER L    -  CONTROL  /     Corbett   -     Tunkwa    /  Batstone   -  CONTROL     /    RIVER U
 Group B:           RIVER U    -  CONTROL  /   Tunkwa    -    Corbett     /   CONTROL  -  Batstone      /    RIVER L
 Group C:            Tunkwa   -   Batstone  /   CONTROL   -   RIVER U    /    RIVER L  -   Corbett       /    CONTROL
 Group D:           CONTROL  -   RIVER U  /    RIVER L   -    Batstone   /    Corbett   -   Tunkwa       /    CONTROL
.Group E:            CONTROL   -  RIVER L  /   Batstone    -   CONTROL  /    Tunkwa   -    RIVER U    /    Corbett        
Controller Pairing: D:A & E:B  -  A:E B:D  /       C:D     -       E:C         /         B:C     -      A:E        /  C:A & D:B

Using a format such as this would make it possible to select a much wider variety of locations with rivers to host our NFFCs, and opens up endless possibilities for future events...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:38:24 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
I quit enjoy helping as a controller when I can, but I do see the benefit running a comp with this type of system.

Not all volunteers are willing or capable of climbing around like a billy goat at some river beats as this was proven last year in Princeton. Seems the majority of volunteers that are capable of taking 3-4 week days off of work are aging, and the not so young guys like my self are just not able to commit as much as they once use to.
This seems like a viable solution for not only the intended, but it just may get the non experienced guy or gal out more often with a rod in hand instead of just a clip board and pen.
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
In general it looks good.

One consideration; It could be a perceived advantage for an angler to control another very skilled angler on a beat they will themselves get to fish during their second river session. So, I think you have to ensure separation between beats that are controlled and angled by the same competitor. That could be organized in advance by pairing beats to be angled and beats to be controlled.

I hope that makes sense? 

Team Kingfisher member

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Great observation, Mike! Yes, the matrix for the rotation of the competitors would ensure that competitors will never control on a beat that they will fish.

This format could be used in situations where controllers simply aren't available. Ideally organizers would be able to find enough volunteers, so every competitor will have their own controller, but perhaps this could be considered as an option  for situations when this isn't possible. Several other countries use competitor-controlled events for their nationals.

Keep in mind that this is just an idea at this point in time that could potentially allow us to use some incredible venues for future events.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...