Author Topic: So Proud of our Youth Team Members!  (Read 278 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
So Proud of our Youth Team Members!
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
I just have to share this heart-warming letter about 3 members of the Western Division of the Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team that was sent to me from Erin Fields-Delude, of Victoria, British Columbia. It's feedback such as this that makes me proud of our youths and the local coaching staff and competitors that have helped to mentor them during their time spent on our youth team!

"Todd - I wanted to take a minute to reach out to you and tell you a wonderful story about three of the young men that will represent team Canada: Evan, MacKenzie, and Matt.

My 12 year-old son has recently taken up fly fishing. My husband is an avid outdoorsman but has never fly fished. We were camping this weekend on Vancouver Island and talked to a local about where to take our son so he could practice.

We were at the fishing spot when Evan, MacKenzie, and Matt came along. My son was clearly doing this wrong but was having a fun time regardless. Matt untangled my son's line multiple times and then they started to talk with him and help him.

They probably spent 45 minutes talking to him and us, they gave him flies, and they encouraged him to practice and have fun. My son asked if he could watch them fish and they were so gracious.

I just wanted you to know this because not only are they great anglers, but more importantly, they are incredible role models with phenomenal character and kindness.

Absolutely class acts. I did take a photo and we will be cheering them on this summer!"

Erin Fields-Delude

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:23:48 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
Re: So Proud of our Youth Team Members!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »
Good job boys!!!
Any river, any time...

Stanton Jack

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
Way to play guys! Good on ya! :)

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
Great stuff!

What could possibly be more Canadian than that? Ok, there's the goose and the Tim's ... but still...

Team Kingfisher member

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »
I too am very proud of you guys however not surprised given what I know of you and your character.
Nevertheless well done.
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.