Author Topic: making a loop on lake lines  (Read 272 times)

Steven Good

• View Profile
making a loop on lake lines
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Several of us had a discussion about how to make a loop on the end of our lake lines.  One person uses the loop connectors.  another nail knots a piece of mono and I personally just fold my fly line over creating a loop and use a nail knot to tie.

I have airflow lines, 3,5,7 plus fast, slow and medium intermediate lines.

What are others using for loops. 

This question is specifically for my lake lines, if using braided loops what brand, I want the loop small enough to easily go through the guides for quick line changes.

looking forward to the feedback   

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: making a loop on lake lines
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
Just fold the tip back to form the size loop you want (plus an inch or so extra).  Trim the tip with a razor blade on a 45 degree angle.  Then just whip it with some  unwaxed thread (I use Gudebrod 6/0 Lt olive). Wrap it tight and work close to the thumb and finger of your "holding" hand. Start at the right and work back to and carefully over the tapered part, back to where the loop starts and then put a loop of thread facing toward the reel in, wrap 10 or more wraps, put through the loop and pull it fwd an cut.  Now all you have to do is use some UV cure and harden it well.   I use the thin Loon UV cure liquid, paint the wrapping lightly until it is well soaked, hit it with a short burst from your UV light, give it another light coat and hit it with a long burst from your UV light.  I then put it out in the sun for an hour or so, and its ready for use the next day.  Works well, very strong, fairly flexible as well.  I now put a 3mm tippit ring in the loop prior to wrapped and wrap tight against the ring and this leaves a very small loop/wrapping and a nice little ring to tie your leader to.  No more need to tie loops in your leader materiel and the knot (I use a double clinch) is must stronger than the old loop to loop connection and doesn't tear the loop in the fly line.    If you use the new RIO In Touch lines, you can get their heat shrink and with a heat gun, can make a very professional loop , including a small one with a tippit ring.  I'll post a pic of such a setup in a minute.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Peter Huyghebaert

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
Here are the two different loops, with tippit rings.  One (green) is hand-done with thread and uv cure.  The second is done using RIO heat shrink, new "in touch" line and a heat gun, you need only 400 degrees to do this.
I Fish - therefore I am!

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
Airflo makes a welded loop machine that can put a welded loop in their  lines. One of our local fly shops has the machine and did them for some of my lines.... might be worth a call to one of your shops to see.
Team Kingfisher member

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »
I prefer braided loops and secure them with fly tying thread and a thin coat of flexible epoxy.
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Steven Good

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
Todd, which braided loops do you use. So many to choose from. Not sure it matters however I want a small loop.

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:34:47 PM »
No sense to mess around with braided loops or thread loops on Airflo or any braided core lines.

If you have an adjustable heat gun, Airflo lines weld great around 325-360 degrees.  Get a length of shrink tubing, a good set of flat nosed pliers and you're off to the races.  If done right, it will be nice and sleek and last a very long time. 

It may be worth contacting your friendly neighbourhood fly shop if they have a trained professional to prevent sacrificing too much fly line to the fish gods trying this...