Author Topic: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead  (Read 180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris Burns

  • 4 Star Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
Hi All
Looking to try euro nymphing method for summer/fall steelhead on Vancouver Island rivers. Does anyone have any specific rod model recommendations (preferred weight, length, flex, to be effective at using this style of fishing.  I currently use a sage ESN 3 weight for most of my trout fishing, but euro style rods are not typically made in the heavier weights for steelhead.
Thank you

Andy Larkin

  • Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • *
  • Posts: 443
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:19 AM »
Keep in mind a lot of those island rivers are getting run sizes of less than 50-100 fish this fall so targeting these fish with an overly productive type of angling may not be the most ethically ideal method.

A 9.5’ 6wt is a good enough stick for all of your dryfly or small streamer/nymph needs on most of the smaller systems in low water.

Chris Burns

  • 4 Star Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
Thanks for response regarding rods.

I am not going to respond regarding ethics of different styles of fly fishing. That conversation won’t lead to anywhere productive.

Peter Huyghebaert

  • 5 Star Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 267
    • View Profile
Re: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Chris - may I suggest a soft tip 7wt such as the one I use for Pinks and Sockeye  (tight line nymphing) - an older Sage SLT 10'. An SP would be similar.  I also use a Mystic 6wt (10' 3"). Most Steelhead (5-8lb) don't put up any more fight than a 6lb Pink and nowhere near a 7-8lb Sockeye.  I make a point of only fishing for steelies where I can follow them downstream - where they usually head. Good luck - think egg flies and even caddis pupae (white or olive on the Island).  Good luck and good fishing.  Just don't play the hell out of them - which is what Andy is suggesting - especially when the water is warmer and contains so much less oxygen. 
I Fish - therefore I am!

Chris Burns

  • 4 Star Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
Thanks Peter for the advice.

Chris Puchniak

  • Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3168
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Euro nymph summer/fall steelhead
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »
If targeting salmon specifically, I'd sure go with a 6wt to try it. 

That said, I've caught many steelhead and salmon up to 10 pounds on my 2 wt ESN.  Always an incidental catch without targeting them, and trying to really avoid them, but still it happens. 90% of the time I land them as fast as I would with my 6 or 7 weight - the other 10% are just too hot to handle and I snap them off before we get into a long fight where they get fatigued.  But the indirect point I am getting to is some of the nymphing rods (but not all - depends on the manufacturer) have a surprising amount of backbone, and given a strong enough leader and good fighting techniques can bring in much larger fish than I'd have ever thought with good speed.  That said, fishing a 2 weight for fish close to double digits isn't something I would practice... lol.  Too risky on the fish.  But a helluva lot of fun when it happens by accident I must say.
 
Good luck and I hope you nail a few!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.