Author Topic: Double tungsten bead nymph patterns?  (Read 328 times)

Gaby Roy

• 2 Star Member
  • Airdrie, Alberta
    • View Profile
Double tungsten bead nymph patterns?
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
Good day folkes.  While browsing the net for tungsten beads I got a hit on this form which mentioned the FIPS mouch reg.

"A single viable bead, not more than 4mm in it's maximum dimension, is also permitted."

That got my mind thinking.  Are there any useful fly patterns that have or use a double tungsten bead, but where only one of the beads is viable?  I did a quick search on google, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I would think in BC, where they only have the one fly rule, these types of fly double bead patterns would be more useful.

Does anyone have any double bead patterns to share or recommend?

Thanks,G

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Double tungsten bead nymph patterns?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
I use a bunch of patterns where I have multiple tungsten beads for nymphs hidden in the body for extra weight. Like you say, in bc we need a single fly, and many of our rivers are very fast flowing, so we need weight sometimes.  But can't use the multi flies.  To comply with fips and yet also get the desired weight, we substitute lead body with smaller tungsten beads.

The key word is single "visible" Fly,  not viable. 

And you just need to keep the body thickness down so you don't exceed the width.

So technically all my nymphs have a multi bead version, but with only 1 bead visible.  Which means that double bead flies are certainly useful here.

I don't really have any with multiple beads showing simply because of the fips rule.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gaby Roy

• 2 Star Member
  • Airdrie, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Ahhh.  That makes sense.  Thanks Chris.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
No problem Gaby. I wasn't sure if I was answering your question or not!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gaby Roy

• 2 Star Member
  • Airdrie, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »
Hey Chris, are you able to post a pic of one of your patterns with a double bead?