Author Topic: Weighting nymphs  (Read 262 times)

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
Weighting nymphs
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
So I'm looking for more opinions out there.  Do you guys go with a large variety of tungsten bead sizes for sink rate or would you prefer to use just a few sizes and add lead wraps to create more weight differences?  Do you ever, sometimes or never use lead along with the tungsten beads?

I know that tippet diameter, line control, rod position, fly profile etc play into the sink rate but obviously the weight is a key factor.

Thanks
Scott

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Weighting nymphs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
Hi Scott,

I use different sizes of tungsten beads to adjust the depth, and tie them as slim as possible. I don't weigh my patterns anymore, as I categorize them by their sink-rates instead of weight, as the profile and density of tungsten can be misleading if your just using the weight for your numbers...

It's easier to add extra beads for pattern with thicker profiles in stead of using lead, but sometimes adding a few wraps of lead and coating the body is the only option if I want to build a fast-sinking pattern while still maintaining a slim profile.

Hope this helps...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »
Good ideas.  Im trying not to buy every size of bead so I was thinking of lead to fill in the gaps.  But I'd rather get them right than make a bunch that are not as effective.

Thanks again
Scott

Francois Dallaire

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
Youíre better off reducing tippet size and fly profile than adding led wraps.  The wider profile isnít worth the weight I find.  If you really want to throw lead in there melt it inside the gap in your bead. You'll get more weight without affecting profile.

Straighten some lead and stick it in the gap in your bead.  With your other hand grab a lighter and heat the bead with the clean portion of the flame(blue, not red). After a few seconds start pushing the lead in.  You can easily shove an inch, sometimes much more in there.

I donít bother anymore. I just reduce tippet size.  But then I donít know how deep and fast the water youíre fishing is.

Good luck!

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:34 PM »
Here is a link to Ciprian technique about how to add lead into beads, technique Francois mentioned above. Enjoy.
https://www.facebook.com/rafan.ciprian/videos/10210710135901543/

Scott Voisin

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for sharing this technique.  Not sure I will do this a lot but I will certainly give it a try.  I see burnt finger tips in the near future! ha

Scott

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
Another technique that I use at times for adding extra weight to my patterns, is filling the cavity of the slot with tungsten putty rather than lead, as tungsten has a far greater density than lead and will increase the sink rate without affecting the profile of the pattern.

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Francois Dallaire

• 3 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »
Didn't realize that existed Todd, thx!

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »
Another technique that I use at times for adding extra weight to my patterns, is filling the cavity of the slot with tungsten putty rather than lead, as tungsten has a far greater density than lead and will increase the sink rate without affecting the profile of the pattern.

Now that is smart as well and probably a bit faster.
Perdigon nymph tied with Bondix UV resin at the jig bead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNL8OyJDcPU&index=21&list=PLZEpig6oNTHpP6Zsd43gikyjtgLt7GSyk&t=38s
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:52:12 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia
Exe/Comp. Canadian National 2013-Calga

Ionut Cotinghi.

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. ionut_ottawa
    • View Profile

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
Not what I use, but here's a great tungsten putty for this application...

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »
Hi Scot, you got some good advice from Todd and other guys so I don't add anything....but in principal I adding lead to weigh down your nymphs is not good for conservation....Alex
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
Just going to add on here bead sizes.  I pretty much find a 2.5mm, 3.3-3.5mm, and a 3.8-4.0mm covers all my options.  Those are rough diameters mind you as they vary from vendor to vendor, and some don't offer all sizes.  But these 3 sizes suit well I think.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.