Author Topic: Boobies for Walleye?  (Read 455 times)

gillie greenberg

• View Profile
Boobies for Walleye?
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:45:03 AM »
Hi guys, every year the family does walleye opener out in quebec. The fish are quite concentrated in two main areas, one is the narrows that runs about 12-18' deep, the other is a large depression near a river mouth where it drops from 12' to around 23'.  The walleye are packed tight to the bottom where light jigs and a live leach or frozen minnow are the best producers. Occasionally we will get them on a lindy rig.

Last year I decided to stick it out and try and get one on the fly. In three days I managed two fish using a fast sinking 500grain line and a leach pattern. I believe my biggest issue was not being able to feel the bites as they are very subtle. (everyone else caught 20+) I'm thinking for this year I'll use a booby fly with about 12-15" of line from a fast sinking t25 line. Anyone have much experience with walleye in these sittuations or can offer advice to a new "boobier"?

thanks, Gil

Ron Thompson

• 5 Star Member
  • Kamloops, B.C. Canada
    • View Profile
    • www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca
Re: Boobies for Walleye?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
I would ask Phil Rowley.
Fishing is not about fish.
THE TUG IS THE DRUG
Do you want flies with that order.
www.thekamloopsflyshop.blogspot.ca

gillie greenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
sounds good, ill try get intouch with him

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:57:59 PM »
I have been fly fishing Walleye for almost 40 years and as a former Walleye competitor via the Western Walleye council. We (team event) took a fourth place finish on year on Fawcett Lake with flyrods at this competition with a field of 140 anglers There are many approaches to this species with a fly. A Booby would work as you suggested, (tie them larger with 9mm Booby Tube eyes and on hooks up to a size 6, but you might wish to increase the leader length to 3 or 4 feet. We often in deeper water use a DI8 or a Lindy rig with a Booby pattern. All depends on water depth and speed.The booby will still be at bottom and especially so in a moderate current. But 3-4 feet will also allow the fly to move a bit more than a 12 inch leader. Both ideas are worth a try.

I certainly would not exclude a Clouser pattern as well in a river or lake situation. In a river I would and do oversize the dumb bell eyes and tie the pattern considerable more sparse to give it a minnow profile. We all know the less drag in a river fly the deeper it sinks and the lighter tippets will also allow deeper penetration. But the same pattern in lakes can be tied a bit fuller and you will still achieve bottom with out having current issues to be concerned with on the lake (for the most part). The Clousers I would and do tie in known proven colour patterns so as to stimulate a reactionary strike. The colour version that is popular for this is the Fire Tiger colour combination of Flouro Yellow, Chartreuse, Hot Orange and Black.  Others that come to mind are Red/White, all Chartreuse, Chartreuse and Black, all white, whiter red head....etc. I am sure you have a local colour combination on this water that is productive for the time of year you will be fishing it.

Stu Thompson also has a pattern called the DD Leech. Stu is a great walleye angler and very experienced at not only walleye but many other course fish. he is on this site and you can search out his name on the membership list.

Just a few colour combinations of walleye patterns for the NSR and the AthaB.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:11:33 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
I fish the Delaware river in southern NY and have caught walleye but only using rapalas and minnow/jigs. You think a clouser minnow would work there maybe? Any other streamer pattern suggestions? Id love to try to get one a fly. Maybe a wooly bugger?