Author Topic: "The Deep Freeze" Fly Fishing Competition - February 18, 2018  (Read 4242 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
"The Deep Freeze" Fly Fishing Competition - February 18, 2018
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »

Registration for the "The Deep Freeze" Fly Fishing Competition opens at 6:00pm on December 21, 2017

Date: Sunday, February 18, 2018.
Maximum Number of Competitors: 20 (competitors fish in groups of 5 anglers)
Eligible Species: Trout and Whitefish
Point System: 1 Point per fish
Competition Status:
British Columbia Competitive Fly Fishing League= 600 point scale 
Fly Fishing Canada= Level 4 Competition. 360 Point Value (based on average NRPs of the top 5 competitors).
Entry Fees: $10.00 per competitor
Number of Groups*: 2 Groups (A/B and C/D).
The Draw: Groups and team members will be randomly drawn at the Designated Meeting area.
Number of Competitors: Maximum of 20 competitors.
Number of Teams: 4 Teams consisting of 5 competitors per team (each team will consists of at least 1 rookie competitor)
* Groups will fish as a Team, which will provide a great team-building excercise and learning opportunity for the rookies!

No Fishing Period: This venue is closed to fishing as of 6:00am Monday, February 5, 2018.

Registration for this competition opens at 6:00pm Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Registration is accepted on a first come, first served basis. Early registrations will not be accepted. Competitors must email Todd Oishi at: info@innovativeflyfisher.com in order to register for this event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NEW REGISTRATION PROCESS:

With the anticipation of a greater number of rookie competitors entering the competition scene this season, it has been decided that existing BCFF League members will be given priority during the registration process for the first 2/3 of the available spots at all one-day-competitions. The remaining 1/3 of the available spots will be reserved for rookie and 2nd year competitors.

Any spots that remain vacant after 14 days of the registration opening, will be assigned on a first come, first served basis to the competitors that are on the Waiting List. League members and Rookies that miss registration for an event and have applied to have their name placed on the Waiting List will be given priority for the registration process for the next scheduled one-day-competition.

Rookie competitors will be assigned to compete on teams with 2 League members during the draw process for each one-day-competition, which will allow the rookies the opportunity to learn from more experienced competitors and improve their skills, and understand how the team dynamic works in our sport..

REGISTERED COMPETITORS:
1. Todd Oishi               ✔ Confirmed
2. Evan Paterson         ✔ Confirmed
3. Martin Payne           ✔ Confirmed
4. Brian Danilkiewicz    ✔ Confirmed
5. Bobby Danilkiewicz   ✔ Confirmed
6. Clint Goyette           ✔ Confirmed
7. Gord Dykstra           ✔ Confirmed
8. Matt Dirksen            On Mexico Time...
9. John Wilkinson         ✔ Confirmed
10. Gerald Wolfe          ✔ Confirmed
11. Paul Davidson        ✔ Confirmed
12. Cody Wolfe            ✔ Confirmed
13. Jason Giasson        ✔ Confirmed
14. Derek Ayres           ✔ Confirmed
15. Stanton Jack          ✔ Confirmed
16. Istvan Kereszturi    ✔ Confirmed
17. Brandon Higgs        ✔ Confirmed
18. Anthony Amenta     ✔ Confirmed
19. Branden Olsen         ✔ Confirmed
20. Taylor Culver           ✔ Confirmed

-------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS:
Number of sessions: 2 sessions (8:00am – 11:00am and 12:30pm – 3:30pm).
Number of Groups: 2 groups (A/B and C/D).
Number of competitors per Group: 10 competitors
Total number of beats: 4 beats (75 minutes fishing time per beat).
Beat Divisions: Beats are divided into 5 sections, with 1 competitor fishing in each section.
Competitor positioning within the sections of the beats will be drawn at the Competitor's Meeting.
Competitors rotate to the section that is downstream of their location within the beat.
The competitor in the bottom section rotates to the top section of their beat.
Competitor Rotation: 15 minute rotations within each fifth of each beat.
Beat Relocations: 30 minute time allowance to relocate to the next beat.
Lunch Break: 90 minutes time allowance for lunch break and relocating to the opposite side of the river between sessions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTATION:
                           Beat 1 (East) - Beat 2 (East) - Beat 3 (West) - Beat 4 (West)     
Session One:
8:00am   – 9:15am:  Group A     -     Group B       -    Group C      -     Group D     
Relocation to the next beat on the same side of the river: 9:15am - 9:45am
9:45am  – 11:00am: Group B     -     Group A       -    Group D      -     Group C

Lunch Break and Relocation to Opposite Side of the River: 11:00am - 12:30pm

Session Two:
12:30pm – 1:45pm:   Group D     -     Group C       -    Group B      -     Group A     
Relocation to the next beat on the same side of the river: 1:45am - 2:15pm
2:15pm  – 3:30pm:    Group C     -     Group D       -    Group A      -     Group C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCHEDULE:
7:00am: Competitors' Meeting at Designated Parking Location - DO NOT BE LATE!!!
7:10am: Carpooling, shuttling, and departure for the river beats.

Session One (8:00am – 11:00am on different 2 river beats)

8:00am – 9:15am: Session One (1st beat)                       
(rotate beat-fifths every 15 minutes)

Relocate to the next beat on the same side of the river: 9:15am – 9:45am (30 minute allowance)              

9:45am – 11:00am: Session One (2nd beat)                       

---------------------------------------------------------------
11:00pm – 12:30pm  - Lunch and relocating to the opposite side of the river (90 minutes)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Session Two (12:30pm – 3:30pm on 2 river beats)

12:30pm – 1:45pm: Session Two (3rd beat)   

Relocate to the next beat on the same side of the river: 1:45pm – 2:15pm (30 minute allowance)  

2:15pm – 3:30pm: Session Two (5th beat)   

3:30 End of Competition....

4:00pm: Competitors' Meeting at Designated Spot
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:51:38 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gerald Wolfe

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: "The Deep Freeze" Fly Fishing Competition - February 18, 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
Before registration opens - is there a way the no-fishing period can be extended- or is that part of the BCFF rules? 
I would like to suggest the no-fishing period cover two weekends prior to the event, rather than just one. 
All anglers have an equal chance to practice on the venue - but it is more difficult for some who live outside the LM - based on travel times.
Thanks
G

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
Fair enough. The no fishing period has been extended to 2 weeks.

Thank-you for your input!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »
Gentlemen, I totally disagree with this "two week no fishing period". I wait all year for steelhead to hit these rivers in the lower mainland. Please do not continue this for the March/April river comps as those are the magic months and two weeks for both is a month of prime steelheading! If it's for the Deep Freeze, ok fair enough, but please refrain from anymore. Thanks, Stanton.

"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will"

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »
I am also a steelheader too. Two weeks is not a huge deal to me. There are many steelheading opportunities out there and this means you just have to fish other system's for that short period. For the March comp on the Stave that is prime time on the Vedder and every other flow in the lower mainland. Spend those two weeks exploring. And for the April comp on the Chilliwack, we know the beats so stay below those and have some fun. There are chrome aggressive bullets that will come in late on that river and some of the best fly water is below the crossing anyway so why not take advantage? I know I do! ;) :)

I would like to give it a try and see if it helps the #'s or not.

Jack I would love to spend some time fishing with you during those periods if you like. I have been chasing steel for over 25 years and if you want to break out the gear too and I am all good with that! :D

Johnnyroebag
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:35:42 AM by John Wilkinson »
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Stanton Jack

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
All good points Johny, and thanks for sharing your take on it. Believe me, I'm all for exploring, but I guess what I'm missing here is "why" the two week no fishing. How will that make things more fair for out of town competitors?  Also, when you refer to numbers do you mean more new anglers joining and competing? If that's the case, I think extending no fishing periods may discourage new comers. Anglers like myself joined because they love getting out there and hitting the water.  Telling interested anglers you can't fish a system for two weeks seems a little backwards to me.

Anyway, with all that said above I don't mean to be difficult and start arguements. Simply sharing my thoughts on it, and perhaps my lack of understanding on the new rule. If this is the new norm, then so be it. Either way I'm in.. And yes Johny, let's totally go steelheading hunting this early Spring. That sounds like a blast :)

Cheers! StantonifIhadadollarforeverytimesomeonecalledmeJack
"Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will"

Clint Goyette

• 5 Star Member
  • Squamish BC
    • View Profile
    • Valley Fishing Guides - Vancouver - Squamish - Whistler
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Great news! 2 weeks will definitely help the numbers and make the competition more interesting!

Thanks!

-CG
Tight Lines,

Clint Goyette
Professional BC Angling Guide since 2000
https://www.facebook.com/valleyfishing

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »
All good points Johny, and thanks for sharing your take on it. Believe me, I'm all for exploring, but I guess what I'm missing here is "why" the two week no fishing. How will that make things more fair for out of town competitors?  Also, when you refer to numbers do you mean more new anglers joining and competing? If that's the case, I think extending no fishing periods may discourage new comers. Anglers like myself joined because they love getting out there and hitting the water.  Telling interested anglers you can't fish a system for two weeks seems a little backwards to me.

Anyway, with all that said above I don't mean to be difficult and start arguements. Simply sharing my thoughts on it, and perhaps my lack of understanding on the new rule. If this is the new norm, then so be it. Either way I'm in.. And yes Johny, let's totally go steelheading hunting this early Spring. That sounds like a blast :)

Cheers! StantonifIhadadollarforeverytimesomeonecalledmeJack

Sounds good Jack! Now we gotta straighten out this Stanton guy ;D ;D

Johnnydyslexic
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:22:01 PM by John Wilkinson »

Andy Larkin

• 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
You're going to have to send me some of those sexy spider legs for some TSN's for this round todd!

Gerald Wolfe

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
Stanton:
I requested the 2 week no fishing period on behalf of comp anglers who would have to travel to the venue to practice.
Anglers who live close to the venue can spend a lot more time on the comp water - a distinct advantage compared to someone who may travel from Van Isle or elsewhere and show up for the comp without any practice.
Especially if anglers have been dialing in patterns and locations only 7 days prior - on the exact same water and beats as the comp. 
To be honest, I would like to see a 30 day no-fishing period on competition venues.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
30 days :o ::)

Johnnyumwhat!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
You're going to have to send me some of those sexy spider legs for some TSN's for this round todd!

Only if you bring your adorable baby and let me pinch its chubby little cheeks! ;)

mattiamangione

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
Mangione’s team will be there
We are back
Mattia&Paolo

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
That's great to hear! We missed you guys!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Registration for this event opens in 30 minutes. Registration for this event is accepted on a first come, first served basis. Competitors must submit their own registration by email to: toishis@gmail.com in order for their registration to be accepted.

Thank-you!