Author Topic: When Will Mother Nature Finally Get it Straight?  (Read 4215 times)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
When Will Mother Nature Finally Get it Straight?
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
It's the middle of March, and it snowed briefly again today. Will it ever end...   :o

How's the weather in your part of the world???
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: When Will Mother Nature Finally Get it Straight?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
You being up in the hills probably have it slightly worse than me.  I keep wanting to sneak out for a day to fish, but it's either blowing, snowing, or pouring.

I might take the family up to Weaver on Sunday though and see how things are.  Gi9ve the motor it's first run of the year.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Christophe Leduc

• 5 Star Member
  • France
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
Here, in France, for the 4th year in a raw, the drough is here. We've got a 75% of rain deficit since the beginning of the year.
The rivers levels are very low, the fish are suffering a lot... for another year.
This week, the temperature was about 20°c, when it should be around 10°c...

global warming is working on!
Relāchez vos rźves - Release your dreams
http://clema74.over-blog.fr/

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
Here, in France, for the 4th year in a raw, the drough is here. We've got a 75% of rain deficit since the beginning of the year.
The rivers levels are very low, the fish are suffering a lot... for another year.
This week, the temperature was about 20°c, when it should be around 10°c...

global warming is working on!

Wow.  That would cause some severe problems here with salmon fry survival rates if we saw that on the coast of BC!

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Christophe Leduc

• 5 Star Member
  • France
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:13:11 PM »
we've got problems with trout and grayling spawning...
 :(
Relāchez vos rźves - Release your dreams
http://clema74.over-blog.fr/

Jeff Weltz

• 2 Star Member
  • AKA Newsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
I believe nature always has it right, we are the once who miss it by trying to categorize. Our concept of time is a product of man. Time system was engineered a man names Standard, our calendar was manufactured by the Romans, and the seasons I have yet hear who set the times for them.

I learned years ago, that when it comes to fish and game they do not recognize our concept of time or our calendar. Spring comes when it comes, as does summer, fall and winter. We as anglers need to learn and read the signs and adjust our lives in the same way that our hunter/gather ancestors did. 

Marc Bilan

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
 I've got a guys fishing weekend planned for April 21st at White Lake, and while it will ice free by then barring an ice age, I really don't think it's going to be fishing all that well yet.   I'd hoped for an early ice off....but it doesn't look to be happening. :(

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
I was out today fishing a local lake doing some bank fishing, and the ice pellets were coming down hard.  Fortunately it didn't put off the fish.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:40:55 AM by Chris Puchniak »

Carole

• A.K.A. willowbarkus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
I am in Cranbrook at the moment. It is cold here, really cold. Two to three inches of snow fell today. At least it wasn't windy like yesterday was. Just to take my grandson out for a walk I had to put on the thermal long underwear and shirt, another shirt over that My favorite heavy fishing sweater over that and my warmest wool coat with a scarf. I had toe warmers stuck on my heavy ski socks inside my boots and hand warmers inside my mitts until I relinquished the hand warmers to my grandson.

On our walk we discovered a small stream running through town. It is a very small stream but sometimes these streams do hold fish. It would be a great place to start my grandson fishing if it is in fact a legal place to fish. I will have to check this out.

My son said he is going to take me fishing on the St. Mary River on Thursday. I hope it warms up a bit by then. I'll post a report if we get out.

Carole

Nick Laferriere

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nick Laferriere
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Here on the prairies in Manitoba, things are great! lol  :P

We had a very mild winter, one of the mildest on records and we've had numerous record highs in March. The snow was gone by the second week of March and by the looks of the weather report, we'll be on the smaller lakes fishing by the end of next week!

In contrast however, last spring we weren't on the water til the first week of May! We also had record snow falls last year.

So although things are looking great this year, there's been no pattern or consistency. Right now it's cooled off to normal temperatures but we had temps in the 20ŗC's last week! There's always the risk of a blizzard but I'm hoping the lakes open up before then! I can fly fish in a blizzard, but I can't fly fish when there's ice on the lakes.  :P

Sorry to hear its not so great elsewhere.  :-\

Nick

Jim Epp

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
Do I detect a bit of Cabin Fever going around? Quite common up in my 'hood. Not fatal but very debilitating. I cured mine last Wednesday. Got out at a local aerated lake that had enough open water to get the pontoon boat wet. Ducks, geese, swans are back and were hanging around on the edge of the ice. I even saw an eagle  cruising the lake ice picking up the leftover lunches & bait left over from the icefishers. I managed to boat one rainbow for a photo op, kiss & quick release. All is well for now, mother nature is back in my good books. Remember patience is the key.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
It's certainly been a very long dry spell here in the southwestern British Columbia (last month's drought broke records for the driest September in over 100 years), but thankfully there's a call for some much needed rain this weekend, which should help to bring the rivers back to normal levels and the salmon.

How's the weather and the rivers in your region or part of the world, and has it been afecting your angling success?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:31:54 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...