Author Topic: What is wrong with this guy?  (Read 362 times)

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: What is wrong with this guy?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
He appears to be striking too fast and hard.

I tend to pause when a fish first takes my drily fly or else you'll pull it right out of its mouth...

I should also add that I would position downstream of the fish if I was losing more fish that landing, which would tend to pull the hook into the fish's mouth rather than out of it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:51:58 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »
Definitely position down stream on a fish taking dries on the surface. But I also would have checked my hook to make sure it wasnt fouled or broken after the first miss.....lol. Not as if that has happened before..
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
If he is fishing for very spooky trout, presenting the fly before the leader (drifting down like that into the fish's view) could be helpful as he is doing.  But it can lead to a lot of missed fish if done wrong.

I would agree that his hook set is a bit fast, and delaying for an entire second more would be better.  Allow the fish to get the fly in its mouth, then set the hook (in that slack water, the fish might even turn away from you on the take with the fly, and if you give it time it would be like a downstream hook set then, pulling the fly into the mouth as opposed to pulling it out).  It looks like he is setting the hook so fast that he is pulling the fly away from the fish while the fish is trying to form a vortex and draw it in still.  So the fly isn't in the mouth fully yet, leading to a weak hook set.

When presenting downstream like that, it is also helpful I find to leave more slack in you leader so there is some "give" in the presentation when the fish strikes.  If the fish is trying to 'suck' the fly in, yet the fly is attached to a taunt leader, the fly is not going to enter the fish's mouth enough to get hooked.

So assuming the angler HAS to present his fly from upstream due to a high spook factor, more slack in the leader and more delay should increase his chances.

Good example Alex.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Berger

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:25:47 AM »
You hit the nail on the head Chris!
"Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave..
Walt Whitman

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »
I agree that positioning downstream of the lie would increase his catch rate but looks like too much vegetation in the way stream side. Perhaps wading across and down first? Or , walk further downstream till finding an opening.