Author Topic: Top 5 Brands or Manufacturers of Euro Nymphing Rods used at Worlds?  (Read 389 times)

Gaby Roy

• 2 Star Member
  • Airdrie, Alberta
    • View Profile
Gents, for those of you that have fished at a recent (last 5 years) world level event, based on your observations, what would you say are the top 5 brands or manufacturers of Euro Nymphing Rods used in these world level competitions?

If you could respond in a list format that would be fantastic.

Example (in no particular order)

1  Maxia
2  JMC
3  Marryat
4  Eikre
5  Sage

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: Top 5 Brands or Manufacturers of Euro Nymphing Rods used at Worlds?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
That's a tough one to answer because I don't really recall noticing what rod each guy I saw was using, to be honest.  I was often more watching tactics and techniques.

I know Sage and Hanak were popular, but there was a diversity in use beyond that.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Utah_Jay

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
It seems like competitors would fill out a survey of equipment used during the registration process. 

Shooting competitions (USPSA) do in everything from gun used, brass, powder, bullet, primer, holster, magazine pouch, holster belt, reloading machine company and reloading machine model IF they reload. 

Seems like a slam dunk and it only takes about 5 minutes to fill out.
In the learning mode :)

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
Here's what Lance Egan, of Team USA, had to say about nymphing rods:
"Im unsure of the most used nymphing rods in the USA, but I see Sage ESN HD rods the most among my peers. Cortland has provided some great entry level and mid price point specialty nymphing rods that have been very popular as have Orvis, Echo and many other rod makers. My favorites include the 10 3 weight Sage ESN HD, Cortland 10.5 3 weight MK II, and 10 3 weight Orvis Recon."

I tend to agree about the ESN, as it is my personal (and my teammates')  favourite rod for nymphing!

I hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:14:29 PM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Utah_Jay

• 4 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »
I look forward to seeing how the Orvis H3 10.5 rod stacks up.

I am using one, but I am a newbie and dont know one from the other.  Its my first
In the learning mode :)