Author Topic: Full sinking line  (Read 527 times)

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
Full sinking line
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
Hello,
I am planning to buy a new type6 or 7 full sinking line for my lake fishings.
Any recommendations? I know Rio has the intouch deep7 that suppose to be one of the bests but it only comes in 6,7 and 8wt and i am using my favourite 5wt 10' vision gtfour on the lakes.
Thanks guys
Istvan
Any river, any time...

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Full sinking line
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 05:20:57 AM »
Airflo Sixth Sense has a DI 7 but the lightest is a 6/7. Im guessing but I think a type 7 sink line is just too heavy for a 5 weight or less. Otherwise they would make on. I think..
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:26 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I was also thinking to get a 6wt rod, I just didn't want to get all new lines when I have most things set up for my 5wt. Or would my 5wt internediate and type3 work on a 6wt rod? Probably wouldn't load it properly
Any river, any time...

Kevin Cucheron

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • BCCFFL Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:57:23 AM »
My suggestion is to get a 6 or 7 weight rod in a ten foot. Then move all your lines to a 6/7 weight. The 5 weight is still a useful rod for lakes with smaller fish like Mill and such. Now you have a good reason to convince the wife that would need new gear. If you need any other reasons just let me know. I have a lot!! 😂
Team Kingfisher member

If someone says you fish too much, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07:32:38 AM »
I have the Airflo type 7 six sense line and I have used it on my 5 wt. But I am using my Z-axis which is a fast action rod and strong enough to cast it. A medium to soft 5wt might feel a little under gunned. I would purchase a 6wt rod for comps unless you are fishing tiddlers(go lighter - 5wt) . When or if you need a new line you can buy 5/6 wt and use it on both rods to keep the $$ down as not everyone can afford all the lines and all the rods.

Johnnybuck
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Istvan Kereszturi

• 5 Star Member
  • A.K.A. Vancityflyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
Thank you very much guys for the input. it definitely helped me in the decision making. I ended up going to the local flyshop and got a new spool for my reel and a rio in-touch deep7, made for  6wt rod. They did not have the airflow six sense in stock that's why I went with the Rio. I was hoping that it would work on my 5wt medium-fast action Vision rod as it does for Johnnybuck:). so far my rod handled it beautifully in our backyard:) Next week is the real test with hopefully some good size pennasks:).
On a side note, I am absolutely impressed with the Rio line. As I pulled it off the reel to do some test casts, there were no coils at all. It is definitely feels and acts like a premium line. I usually try to get a medium level line but this time I wanted to try something on the high end. And so far I am glad I did. I heard rumors that Rio lines don't last as long as others but  I was assured at the store that it is not true and even if it was  if anything goes wrong with the line they will be more than happy to replace it.

Kevin, I think I used most reasons already convincing my wife that I need an other piece of fly fishing equipment, but If you think you have anything new, I am all ears:).
thanks guys!
Istvan

Any river, any time...