Author Topic: Arcay nymphing line  (Read 1282 times)

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Arcay nymphing line
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:12:12 AM »
I've recently had the chance to fish three lines from the new Arcay company.  This included Arcay's nymphing line, and two "traditional lake" lines - a slow intermediate and a Di7.  For my opinion of the lake lines, please check out my separate review for those items which will be coming out soon.

I have been fishing with the Arcay nymphing line for about four months now, using it and alternating with some of my other lines throughout an afternoon or so.  I've used it on big water and small waters nymphing for trout and whitefish, as well as the odd steelhead.  Here are my thoughts:

- the line is two coloured, with the main body being black and the tip (about 12' long - I haven't measured it precisely) being light blue.  I have been surprised how well the light blue tip shows up, as initially looking at it I would have thought it would be tough to see.  Quite the opposite though - I can see it quite well when fishing out far with an 18-20' leader, and I can't help but think that the light blue tip section is very subtle to the fish when the line is overhead of them.  Dead easy for me to see and possibly more subtle to the fish:  win-win scenario.

- the diameter of the line is very small, pretty much bang-on a precise 0.22 inch, which is the minimum diameter we comp anglers can use.  It leads to less sag and goes though the guides well, yet at the same time there is enough substance to the line to firmly grip it when fighting fish (one of the problems to the all-leader approach)

- the line is very supple and soft, which I suspect helps it shoot through the guides when you are counting on the weight of the fly to do most of the work (and you don't want the line slowing it down!).  When you hold the line in your fingers, you can feel how supple it is.

Long and short of it, for a nymphing line it casts very well (didn't try it with dries mind you!).  I paired it with a 2 weight 10 foot rod, and casting out to about 45' with a single tungsten bead nymph was fairly easy.  Really, like any fly line, you want it to help you cast, not get in the way, and help you fight a fish, and this line does all this very well. 

Often we go through nymphing lines on rivers fairly quickly, as the lines have only a thinly coated jacket, and on the rocks they take an incredible amount of abuse (sure do from me anyways!).  I am looking forward to seeing how this line stands up over time and will be certainly giving it the long term test this summer. 
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arcay nymphing line
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Chris.  I have one spooled up for my next outing. Looking forward to giving it a go.
Team Kingfisher member

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
How does it compare to the Rio ?

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:19:06 PM »
Sounds great, I assume it has a sink tip being a nymphing line?

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:54:09 AM »
Hi David.  No it is purely a floating line, designed more for lightness for euro nymphing.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:57:39 AM »
Andy, very different design from Rio.  It is a little thinner than Rio, is black and blue (compared to the olive and orange of Rio), and is a lot more supple than Rio (where as the Rio is stiff, the Arcay feels closer to silk in that it compresses very easy).

I think both lines have their advantages.

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »
Hey Chris or anyone else with experience and this line, hope you can help me with my recent experience with this nymphing line that I have finally had the pleasure of fishing after winning it some months ago.
I have little experience in varying setups while nymphing and my question is based the connection point of your sighter with this much smaller diameter line.
Do you connect this much smaller running line directly to your sighter using a ring or do you use a section of mono inbetween?

I think the mono in between is the traditional way of setting up, as this is what I have been shown, however after fishing this line this way for 2 days I wonder if I would have better control and feel connecting directly to my sighter with this line? The first 2 outings I really did like how supple the line was and how at ease it was to get my presentation where I wanted it, but I felt the mono in between was hindering the experience so on the 3rd trip I shortened the mono to about 12" so that it was mearly a connection point instead of part of the running line setup.
I felt this gave me a better feel for light takes and gave much better control of the line than running with a much longer mono setup.

I would be curious how you set this line up to your sighter and why? Can I eliminate the mono all together? Should I maybe keep using the mono setup but go down in size to better match the new Arcay line ( I think I was using a 7-8ft length of 15lb mono before shortening to the 12")?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Francois Dallaire

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
Gord, keep in mind that the line was commissioned by an angler to suit his preferred fishing style.  It would only make sense to match this line with that angler's leader as a starting point.

Arcay's leader can be purchased online for 12 dollars. I suggest you start there.

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
Hey Gord,

I have done it two ways in the past. Easiest is to create your own loop by cutting the end at a steep angle and then folding it onto itself using some fine mono in a spool to tie it, glue it and then smooth with UV cure.  Alternatively, you can take a needle and splice it which creates a smoother  transition. I have a video somewhere on the splicing technique if you want to try it..

Here is the link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16LbOCF_PqU

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:15:42 AM by Mike Learmonth »
Team Kingfisher member

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
So I think my question may have been somewhat misguided because of my lack of experience with different nymphing techniques.
After doing some research reading (after my post) I see this line really is designed for a more purpose style of spanish nymphing with a much different setup than the euro style I was shown.
I suppose it would be naive to think this line could be multi purpose in its ability to lend its self to other styles of euro nypmhing? As my approach and experience has mostly been with the Czech, high sticking technique I wondered if I could lose the section of mono leader all together and just simple attach my sighter to the main line then my tippet to the sighter and continue to use a high sticking or czech approach?

Mike thank you for your suggestion of splicing, I will look for that video.

Francois, thank you for your suggestion as well.

Ohh so much to learn with this new to me world of nymphing.
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Mike Learmonth

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 10:18:53 AM »
Link above Gord.
Team Kingfisher member

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »
Gord, if I read your posts right, I think what you are suggesting is that instead of using a 15-20' 'nymph' leader that you wonder about just using something maybe 6-8' long?  Such as maybe 2' of sighter and another 5-7' of tippet?

That is definitely in line with the way some still do it, and it works for them.  This way the line becomes a very good sighter too, and for close up fishing you have very good direct contact.  Any of the nymphing lines (the smaller .55mm ones) can be used that way.  The disadvantages are that even though it is a thin line, it is still not thinner than most monos, and hence gets caught in the wind more, and sags moreso (pulling a fly back towards you across current in a very unnatural way the further away you try and fish it).  But it can be done with success.

I've used it with a 15' dry fly leader myself, which has a taper of course, and it works ok in that fashion as well.

So you don't have to use the newer style of long, thin, mostly level leader all the time.  I think the line works best with that, and that's how it was designed, but with different casting styles and rods one can do what suits one best.  You can fish a  long thin leader, a tapered leader, or a very short leader.

I attach my leader (whatever one I use) to a small loop on the end of the line that I make by stripping off the fly line coating (about 3/4- inch long), then folding it over to create a small loop which I tighten down with 6/0 or 8/0 thread, coated with superglue or UV glue.  You want a loop small enough you could fit a .45mm mono leader through it very comfortably, but it doesn't have to be a lot bigger than that.

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Think you nailed it Chris! ;)

Johnny
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
Chris,

If you were unconstrained by comp rules, what line/leader/tippet setup would you use for average stream conditions? 

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
That's a good question.  For nymphing and casting those nymphs I am always tempted to go pure leader and skip the fly line... but I hate fighting fish with a .20mm diameter 50'  leader as you don't have much grip.  But it sure is nice for wind and long casts!

Ideally I think I prefer to have a set up for each situation  (almost like those bass anglers who carry 25 rods rigged differently for each thing they do).  So I find it hard to confine myself to one thing.  But so far I would find it hard to beat a good nymph line and thin 20' leader for my average day of fishing.  It's a very good compromise of casting and fighting.  I might go to 25 or 30' leader...

But then I would always want a 2wt line for dries with a long tapered leader.