Author Topic: Arcay nymphing line  (Read 1268 times)

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arcay nymphing line
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:25 AM »
Thanks for the answer, Chris. 

So, if you were to go "pure leader," what kind of sighter would you use on what is essentially a 3-4x "line?"

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »
Probably two 12-15 inch sections of Hi-Viz Yellow with a clear section in between of straight sighter Alex.  That's what I find works for me currently in most conditions. 

Recalling the other thread where sighters were discussed, what have you been finding works for you?

Thanks!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
I was wondering about a sighter that wouldn't be too out of place when tied onto 4x tippet material.  Most Hi-Viz stuff that I use is much heavier than that, so would defeat the purpose of a line made just out of tippet.

As for me, I've been alternating between using a thin chartreuse running line with just 5x tippet as my leader (about 6-7 feet of tippet) and using about ten feet of 12 ft. Maxima Chameleon then a sighter of Cortland indicator mono, then the tippet described above. 

I've also tried making the entire line into a sighter, basically running 10-20 ft. of 10-15 lb. Amnesia.

The reason for my indecision is that i'm becoming increasingly convinced that watching a specific spot, be it a mark on your leader, or a short sighter, isn't as effective in indicating takes as in watching a whole length of line/indicator and watching for a change in its curvature. 

Clearly, the first option above isn't the best for distance nymphing because of sag.  However, I do most of my nymphing up close, and usually upstream.

Alex

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 08:48:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I know feel far more confident that I don't have a clue what happening out there :) and thats why I love this sport of fishing so much!
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
I was wondering about a sighter that wouldn't be too out of place when tied onto 4x tippet material.  Most Hi-Viz stuff that I use is much heavier than that, so would defeat the purpose of a line made just out of tippet.

As for me, I've been alternating between using a thin chartreuse running line with just 5x tippet as my leader (about 6-7 feet of tippet) and using about ten feet of 12 ft. Maxima Chameleon then a sighter of Cortland indicator mono, then the tippet described above. 

I've also tried making the entire line into a sighter, basically running 10-20 ft. of 10-15 lb. Amnesia.

The reason for my indecision is that i'm becoming increasingly convinced that watching a specific spot, be it a mark on your leader, or a short sighter, isn't as effective in indicating takes as in watching a whole length of line/indicator and watching for a change in its curvature. 

Clearly, the first option above isn't the best for distance nymphing because of sag.  However, I do most of my nymphing up close, and usually upstream.

Alex

I do like running along length of Amnesia as my main leader for nymphing.

I know the Hanak is .20mm and the Asso is a little thinner at .18mm, which work well.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Alex Argyros

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 02:26:05 PM »
I've been thinking about using 30 (or 20) lb. fly line backing as a fly line/sighter.  I assume that such a setup is not permitted in comps, but I was wondering if anyone has toyed around with the idea.

I'll try it next time I go fishing and report.  The motivation for the experiment is limpness and visibility, which are the two attributes that I look for in a sighter (and I like my sighters very long; basically the entire line/leader up to the tippet).

Alex

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
That was popular for a bit for comp anglers and others trying the newer (at the time) tightline techniques, and you are right - visible, supple... and it can float nicely if needed.  I know it dropped favour for comp anglers because it wasn't permitted (not a mono), but it certainly has advantages.  Aside from the above, being solid (not opaque) means that it silhouettes well against a light background and low light, which mono often has a hard time doing.