Author Topic: Sayres lake  (Read 53 times)

Bobby Danilkiewicz

• 2 Star Member
    • View Profile
Sayres lake
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »
Going up to Sayers lake this weekend to camp and fish the lake. I tried to get some info on this lake via the web but everything seems pre 2012... also heard 20 -40 metres deep..... so type seven on a 4 minute count or.... lmao. It also is on the internet that it's stocked but couldn't find sayres on the stocking report. Does anyone know if this still holds bookies? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hope everyone has a good may long weekend!
Cheers

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Sayres lake
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
I haven't fished there in years, but I always had good success fishing said the edges on the northern and eastern shorelines. Never had much like ck over the deep water. There is a nice shoal in the northeastern corner of the lake...
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

John Wilkinson

• 5 Star Member
  • Abbotsford BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
Used to have lunkers in there. Not sure about now. Randy Paskall is the man to ask. He use to fish it.

Johnnysays
****** The Fish Whisperer ******

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
Way deeper than 40 meters... close to 400 feet.  You can fish 20' from shore and it is 80' deep.

I used to fish that a lot and got good rainbows and brookies up to about 5 pounds, maybe a tad bigger.  And they fought well.  But that was when the main hatchery was there, and the food from the pens would drop into the lake feeding the fish.  20+ years ago way before the campground was added.  I always fished the west and south areas, concentrating around the creeks, up to the northern bay.  I always fished it dead slow with a Di3 and a leech.

But the lake is much different now and those fish are gone.  Might be some brookies still though because they reproduced a bit in the lake.  Beautiful spot.  Morgan lake up the road is gorgeous too.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Gord Dykstra

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:24:01 AM »
Same as others, we used to fish it every year when access was easier and vandalism was not expected.
When I say easier access I meant the road conditions were somewhat favorable getting in, before the 4x4 crews chewed up the hill.
They used to stock it, 15-20years ago however I do believe that has not happened in many years. Like Chris said they may still be some resident trout?
If only I had a penny for every time I thought about fishing.

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
The good old days when you had to:

1. Drive through the prison yard
2. Drive through the boy scout and air cadet camp (five minutes later)
3. Had to be out by 5 pm or they locked you in

Always seemed like a recipe for disaster having those two places...  lol.  But it was nice launching at the camp.

I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.