Author Topic: Air Travel with Fly Fishing Gear  (Read 283 times)

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Air Travel with Fly Fishing Gear
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
I am going on a five week work trip to the UK in early July and am wondering about traveling with gear.  Do you guys take your fly boxes in carry on luggage or checked luggage?  I am wondering as the hooks might be seen as a weapon.

I will be in NW Northern Ireland the first week, then three weeks in Scotland before finishing up in the NW of England.  The last week will most likely not offer any fishing opportunities.  I am curious if anyone might have some locations in the area I am staying/working in Ireland.  I will be staying in Derry (Londonderry) and working in Ballyliffin which is about an hour away.  IF anyone knows of any streams or rivers between the two that would be great.  I have checked out Google Earth and there are some promising looking remote waters that interest me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
In the learning mode :)

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Re: Air Travel with Fly Fishing Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:41:45 AM »
Bump

Still need info for air travel

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:59:11 AM »
Sorry I missed this post!

I always place my hooks in my checked baggage, as I was told by an airline company that they were not allowed in my carry-on luggage due to the fact that they are sharp. I always recommend that you speak to your airline's customer service agent if you are not sure which items are not allowed in your carry-on luggage.

I would contact David Downie when you're in Scotland. He is a great guide and will offer you some stellar advice. Contact Michael Drinan in Ireland. They are both Top Guides and great guys!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:38:44 AM by Todd Oishi »
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:29:22 AM »
Sorry I missed this post!

I always place my hooks in my checked baggage, as I was told by an airline company that they were not allowed in my carry-on luggage due to the fact that they are sharp. I always recommend that you speak to your airline's customer service agent if you are not sure which items are not allowed in your carry-on luggage.

I would contact David Downie when you're in Scotland. He is a great guide and will offer you some stellar advice. He has

Thanks Todd

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
Yeah, Todd has it bang on.
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Utah_Jay

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
Todd, I did in fact get in touch with Dave Downie, and we are going to get together, so thanks for that!

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
That's fantasic!! He's a a great angler and teacher. Send him my regards!!
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...