Author Topic: Flyfishing for Pike Leader formula and rigup  (Read 334 times)

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
Flyfishing for Pike Leader formula and rigup
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
Hey Guys;

Goin back home to the St. Lawrence River to do some flyfishing for Pike, first time I ever targeted them on a fly rod ! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows a good leader formula and rigup system for them.  As you know, they are big, strong and have very sharp teeth! Im planning on using a wire leader to attach my flies to but Im wondering leader length and size more than anything . Thanks 😊

Vance Whitley

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Alberta
    • View Profile
Re: Flyfishing for Pike Leader formula and rigup
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
I have been using Rio wire bite with good success this year so far.
All fishermen are liars except you and me,
and I'm not to sure about you... - unknown

Andy Larkin

• Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team Assistant Coach
  • 5 Star Member
  • Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
If they're spooky, 

Full fluoro - 6-8 feet 60lb-40lb-20lb-60lb

If they're not,
Stock rio toothy critter leaders are great.

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
I fish Northern Pike frequently and mostly in the spring and fall for the larger hens. At this time of year in many our our local waters in Alberta and Saskatchewan you can frequently come across twenty pound fish with attitude. They are very aggressive and can destroy leaders and flies easily. For my leader design I use a loop to loop section of 80 or 60 pound Triline big game that is 5 feet long. This rolls over any good sized fly in the 4-13 inch range. At the bottom loop we add one of two tippet type sections they are: 40 pound mono of 2 feet with a loop connector and a double uni knot on the bottom to a trace wire. This trace wire is from Michaels craft store. It is called Beadalon, is a 7 strand 24 pound test wire that is knot-able. Cheap at 5.95 per spool.  Here on the tip we run a double Davey Knot to the hook. The second tippet section we build for spookier Pike is  with 3 feet of 60  pound mono/fluorocarbon with a loop connector on one end and a blood knot connection to 24 inches of 40 pound fluorocarbon. Very few pike ever break a 40 pound tippet section.

All tis is cast on a 10'-7 weight or a 9'-8 weight single handed rod. Never a casting problem in the ten plus years we have been using this leader system. It is simple easy to make and more importantly versatile to easily change out tippet types and well worn/torn tippet sections.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:05:29 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for, Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Hanak Competion, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd.
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia