Author Topic: A day of classic trout fishing  (Read 349 times)

David Bisnett

• 5 Star Member
    • View Profile
A day of classic trout fishing
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
Hey guys,

So I went to my old spot up in the Adirondacks my grandfather used to take me to for a day of brook trout fishing . Armed with my 7’ 3 wt and a box of attractor dries , 5 x tippet and classic wets , I went at it from about 10 -4 . My technique was drifting my dry with a classic wet attached on a 4” dropper. All told, I scored 19 Brooke’s and 30 Chubs for a grand total of 49 fish. What I noticed was most effective was dapping the dry on. The surface and raising the wet up to the surface , similar to the Leisenring lift at the end of the drift . Fish were leaping out of the water to get the wet and sometimes even the dry even when inches above the water surface!! Of the 19 trout caught, 16 took the wet and 3 the dry whereas for the Chubs the reverse seemed to be true. I caught far more Chubs in the dry than the wet . It was a wonderful day and a great experience 😊

Chris Puchniak

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Cloverdale, BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Skookum's Fly Box
Re: A day of classic trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:15:56 AM »
Sounds like a very good day!
I will fish anywhere and find beauty in it.

Don't be a Pessimist. Don't be an Optimist.  Be a Realist and change when you need to.

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: A day of classic trout fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Impressive day of fishing by anyone's standards! Well done, and thank for sharing your fishing report and observations!! :)
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...