Author Topic: Shipman's Christmas style Buzzer.  (Read 862 times)

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
Shipman's Christmas style Buzzer.
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Because we are close to the season.. Some #12 Shipmans , 14 and 20 Audible Chironomids..
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia

Todd Oishi

• Administrator
  • 5 Star Member
  • Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
    • View Profile
    • North American Loch-Style Fly Fishing Championship
Re: Shipman's Christmas style Buzzer.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
Absolutely beautiful! Have you caught any fish on them yet?
For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in inches or pounds, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Gary Hanke

• Competition Organizer
  • 5 Star Member
  • Edmonton, Alberta
    • View Profile
Re: Shipman's Christmas style Buzzer.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »
Because we are close to the season.. Some #12 Shipmans , 14 and 20 Audible Chironomids..

Shipmans and Audibles yes and lots. The Shipmans (new colour scheme) with the red colour scheme, no ...as it was a pattern used as a Christmas theme on another site for this year. But I certainly can not see why they would not catch with that Royal Coachman colour scheme....I will let you know as soon as the ice is off this coming spring on what they are capable of....

As for the Audibles (a fly used in our basic fly tying course to teach thread control, half hitching and hand whip finishing) they are the first fly my students tie in our course. This fly has been around now for 3 years. It has caught plenty of fish both in Alberta and B.C. lakes. The Audibles in the photo in the #20 was tied for the sake of ease when matching the correct thread denier to hook size on very small hooks and to show consistency in the practice of counting wraps. The size 14's have done very well over the past 3 years. I often tie the Audible Chironomids in #10-16 in Black, Red's, Olive's and Brown's. Mostly Blacks and Olives in a 12 or 14 for my fishing needs locally.  I add a single Dual inferno Goose Biot across the back for a hot spot and others will have a single strip of Hends Mylar in 1/69th inch or 1/32 inch (Depending hooks size) down the back prior to ribbing with the thread. This just puts a small amount of flash into the pattern and is not over bearing. Often I feel patterns of this type when a rib of wire or tinsel is wrapped around the body to create segmentation can be over doing it. I also feel that that technique specifically on Chironomids can have a tendency to spook fish, especially under selective conditions. Here I feel the thin strip down the back reduces the volume of flash and has a better hook up ratio as a result. ( IMHO)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:19:18 AM by Gary Hanke »
Flyfishing is my love and flytying is my mistress
PRO-tyer-for-Semperfli-Essential-Fly
Cdn. Distributor for Semperfli, Hends Products, Eikre Rods and Reels, Stonfo, Eastslopes Distributor Ltd. GAIA Certified Instructor
Fmr. Team Captain 2015 Worlds Championship-Bosnia